PDA

View Full Version : broken oil tank

dirtyrooster
06-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I went to change my oil and broke my drain plug on the oil tank. I'm wondering if I should buy an oversized tank or a stock one. I have a stock engine with no mods other than a K&N filter with outerwear and a pro circuit slip on silencer. PLEASE HELP!! I haven't rode since february and I got a SERIOUS craving!

Stickman400
06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Well unless you plan on doing any major upgrades to it in the future, like a 440 kit with a cam or even just a 416 or 426 then just stick with a stock unit. Unless you want the added security of it not running as hot.

NacsMXer
06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Don't sweat it, that is very common to that to happen. It is a definite weak spot, and doesn't take much over-torquing to snap off. Sounds like you don't need an oversized tank, so it would be much cheaper to have it repaired.

I broke my tank back in 2001, and was in a pinch so I took it to a local boat dealer. They did aluminum welding regularly so it wasn't a problem for them. The re-weld was extremely beefy and much stronger than the original tank. I still run that same tank to this day with not a single problem since.

I would suggest finding a local welder as that would be the cheapest option. It's an easy fix for someone who knows what they're doing.

Stickman400
06-01-2012, 09:57 PM
O, and if you buy a used one off of ebay or somewhere then make sure to check the screen in the bottom fitting before installing it.

TheAwesomehonda
06-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I would get the CFM over sized oil tank. Mostly because it's $100 and if it breaks or cracks they will replace/repair it.. i don't think that CFM tank will ever break tho.. It also looks nice and should make that quad run 20 degrees cooler. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Oil-Tank-Cooler-Honda-TRX-400EX-TRX400EX-400X-TRX400X-CFM-Performance-/170836837261?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c6ab438d&vxp=mtr