PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lock tight would u use?

bradenc19
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
What all bolts an nuts would you lock tight on a 250r. I jst got it rolling an i haven't tighten everthing down yet. What kind of lock tight would you use?

rayman375
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I would use low or medium strength.

bradenc19
06-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Would u lock tight everything?

sameltoe
06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Pretty much...

bigE28
06-02-2012, 08:14 PM
red is pretty much permanent without heating up the nut. so be careful with that stuff!!

250rice
06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
i dont use it on any thing on the frame. but if it makes you feel good i would use the blue kind

Motofool250r
06-03-2012, 09:56 AM
its important to understand how much you should use if your going to use the red high strength stuff especially compared with the bolt size.

if the bolt doesn't have any locking type of device nylon lock nut, lock washer, or a mechanical locking nut then use red or blue loctite but dont coat thewhole damn bolt just a drop does nicely.

Thumpin440ex
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Blue on the entire bike, and also a small amount on the cases, or green for the cases.

John

rooster300ex
06-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I would use the blue/medium,but ive used red before but very little which makes it not permanent

D Bergstrom
06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I use blue also. My race quads get every bolt/nut locktighted regardless, just a small drop on the threads. My other quads just get blue on the bolts with no lock nut, lock washer, etc. I buy the larger bottles of blue locktight I use it so much.

Doug

brokenmike
06-03-2012, 02:44 PM
In my opinion I don't use loc tite on anything. I havent had any problems at all. I have never had the crap work at all. I used the red stuff on my axle nut and let it cure and it came loose quicker than if I used none. Like I said I have never at all had the stuff work.

DezSled
06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Elephant snot or the blue stuff normally, red on stuff removed rarely.

Thumpin440ex
06-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by brokenmike
In my opinion I don't use loc tite on anything. I havent had any problems at all. I have never had the crap work at all. I used the red stuff on my axle nut and let it cure and it came loose quicker than if I used none. Like I said I have never at all had the stuff work.

You do know that it does have a shelf life, does go bad? I have never seen it where it didn't work I have even used it on greasy bolts with good results.

John

rooster300ex
06-03-2012, 03:37 PM

:rolleyes: I don't know what to say to that.

mx91a
06-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Haha same here tons of red loctite on the rear hub nuts, torque the heck out of them with a giant breaker bar and they still come loose! I usually just use some blue Loctite on the engine mounting bolts and flywheel nut when I'm not running a key. Anti-seize usually goes on all the other bolts especially when threading into aluminum or stainless.

brokenmike
06-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I use it at work just because they want me to and I can still remove bolts with no added effort even when using the red loc tite. Iam aware of the shelf life and that it does go bad. My work has had the Henkel rep in and the guy insists it works. I see differently from the results. It is your quad and use whatever makes you happy. I make sure bolts and nuts are torqued to spec and I haven't had any problems at all

250rice
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
i have never had any of my frame bolts come loose and i never used lock tight ever on my r ever.