PDA

View Full Version : GTT Revalve or Works Ultracross

riotact
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of selling my Works Ultracross rear shock which has a fresh rebuild as of today and sending in my stocker to have it revalved and resprung.Which do you guys think would be the better option?

chronicsmoke
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Is your works setup for a stock link?

I vote sell the works and get the GTT link and revalve. I think you'll be much farther ahead.

riotact
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
It's set up for the stock link on a +1 1/4 swinger.That's what I've been thinking too,just looking for other opinions.Thanks!

ish416
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
When I purchased my Works Ultracross rear shock they sent me a different linkage with it.

Regardless, I have been very satisfied with that shock. After a bit of messing with it, it worked extremely well. In fact, it works as good or better than my friends Stage 4 Elka rear on his 450R.

01boneless
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
id say try the gtt setup. im geting ready to buy the link and re-sprin the shock myself with the springs they sell

riotact
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks ish. It does seem like a really nice shock. That is the same kit I'm watching right now.Maybe I should give works a call and ask them about the linkage for that shock. The other thing is I need to replace the linkage bearings anyway,so I could sell the shock and throw some cash in and get the xc link,spring,and hi flow piston.

ish416
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I've ridden on a GTT revalved/resprung rear shock and it wasn't that much better than stock even with the GTT XC linkage. Given, this was on an 05 450R but it's very similar shock. It just wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It would bind up in the rough stuff and no amount of tweaking could get it right. We spent days trying to get it to work in the rough stuff and it would just get stuck halfway through it's travel. So we ended up stepping up to the Elka Stage 4's and the issue disappeared. I never had that issue with my Ultracross either.

The thing is at least in my case is that the parts of the shock that you can't change out are the limiting factor. When my rear shock went out, it went out as in the reservoir exploded.