PDA

View Full Version : Break in period on new top end

ansimation
05-31-2012, 02:29 PM
I assume since I'm having a new top end put in, that I will have a break in period where I have to just putt around, right? Also adding in stage 2 hotcam

JOHNDOE83
05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
I generally ride between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle for atleast 2 tanks of gas before I really open it up.

For the first half tank I take it kinda easy, after that try to ride normal but acclerate quickly and slowly between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle for the next tank and a half.

Im sure others will have just as good if not better methods, thats just how I do it.

CJM
05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Method I have always used is to let it warm up for about 10-15 mins, then ride it hard thru the gears for a good rip. You basically load it thru 2nd-4th then let it decelerate and load it back up again.

Its actually linked in the sticky:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Go to the part on the page labeled "on the street".

Ive broken in quite a few engines this way and never had an issue.

ansimation
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
so just basically let it warm up and ride it hard through the gears then slow down and repeat a couple times? I can do that! Didn't want my son jumping on it and riding it hard like he's used to but it sounds like that's what we want. Thanks guys!

Scro
05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
I've always ran my motors through one heat cycle in the garage to make sure it's going to stay together. After that, ride it like it's going to be rode. Which was, most of the time, at the races.