PDA

View Full Version : mx suspension set up?

hartwill
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
How do you guys get your R's to sit correct for mx height? I have all aftermarket suspension, lonestar swing arm, stock 89 linkage, Walsh long travel a arms, Just serviced custom axis shocks all around. my problem is getting the rear under 8.25". The front I can get down to the 7.5" mark no problem but the rear is giving me some problems. Shocks were just serviced for 160lb mx rider. And I'm running 18"rear tires and 20" fronts. I don't really want to use an adjustable linkage because I hears they cause binding and break sometimes. Thanks guys. Oh, with adjusting everything, the lowest I could get it was 8.5" rear and 8.75 front..

bigmatt61
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I have to ask, were u sitting on it when u measured at the foot pegs?

hartwill
05-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Lol, standing in riding position.. but yes I was on the quad.

hontrx265r
05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
If you have less then 1/8 ish" preload on your spring and your ride height is too high. Your main spring is too stiff. same as if your preload was maxed out and it sat too low, the main would be too soft.

dustin_j
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
If you have less then 1/8 ish" preload on your spring and your ride height is too high. Your main spring is too stiff. same as if your preload was maxed out and it sat too low, the main would be too soft.

This is correct. I would also add, make sure you have the correct shock lengths. Put the quad on a 12" stand and measure eye to eye length on the frame and compare to the shock. if the shock is too long, you'll have trouble getting the ride height lowered. It is also worth checking compressed length to make sure you are getting full travel and not framing out. Many builders set compressed height at 1.5" frame height.