PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Little Guy Into Racing

Coles Dad
05-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey folks need some advise.

My oldest is turning 6 this week and hes maxxed out his Hensim 50cc 4 stroke, fully suspended (and I use that liberally LOL). He wants a bigger bike and wants to race our local GNCC style series. He'[s pretty much mastered the basics. I wont let him race until end of the year depending on his grades and how he does at home (hes a good kid).

I raced many years ago and now just ride for fun and tinker with bikes.

Im stuck in California so I think any 2 stroke is out due to emmissions for OHV/BLM/ect. The only 2 stroke I would consider would probably be a DRX.

I think, for us, the best choice would be a 4 stroke CVT. He's tall and lanky, 48" tall and 50 lbs. The Hensim he's been abusing probably maxes out at 20-25 mph but its small.

He sat on a new Raptor 90 the other day and a friend has a Honda 90. He is small for them as he can reach the pegs and bars but seems overtaxed. I feel limited on what I can put him on.

I've been reading up on the CAN AM 70/90 and Pitster Pro 90 (though this one is a shifter).

Priorities are:

1) Fit
2) Realibility
3) Performance
4) Aftermarket support

Any help would be great. I deally it would be a quad he could grow with.

Max

Rich243
05-28-2012, 04:43 PM
All the pitsters use the same frame and it was based on a honda 90 so I would say it is also to big......

skyeryder
05-29-2012, 07:11 AM
One thing to consider is what class sizes your local series has like one of our local series the 70cc class is 0-70cc 2-stroke and 0-90cc four stroke, just an example. Your DRR's are going to be your best all around deal and bang for your buck.

redonkulousruntsracing
05-29-2012, 07:32 AM
The 4 stroke will not be an option for a kid that size. I sell the Pitsters and they are way too big for a kid that size, my 8 year old is uncomfortable on one. And a 4 stroke wouldnt be able to compete with a DRR or an Apex. We have a highly modded 4 valve Pitster 125 that races in our 90 class, and kids on 70cc Apexes and DRR's are faster. The Can Ams are HEAVY overpriced yard machines. You will find better support for the DRR's and Apexes, if your kid is bigger so I would recommend an Apex. They are a little longer and fit bigger kids better and I feel the design is far superior over a DRR, but thats my $.02.
I dont live in Cali, but if you intend on racing the quad instead of registering it and going on family trail rides, then the government shouldnt have anything to do with it, what you have in your race trailer is your business.

Coles Dad
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
The class is 90cc 2 stroke/125 4 stroke and theres stock and modified. Stock you can modify wheels/tires, bars, grips, ect in addition to shocks.

Since DRR/DRX arent common here on the west coast (that Im aware of) does anyone know where a good place to find used 50s or a dealer that is reputable? What should I expect to pay for a stock DRX 50 water cooled without shipping?

My concern with the DRR/DRX is reliability. I have to say Im not THAT familiar with those but water is my concern.

Thanks!!

skyeryder
05-29-2012, 07:43 PM
I've seen used ones on here for around $1500 stock, I bought one in Ohio for $1100, go to the for sale section, unless you just have the extra cash buying a used one is the way to go especially if you racing xc. Seems like I see some in Nevada quite abit for sale check craigslist also. For his size and age I'd get a 70cc or 90cc myself as long as it's stock you can hop it up as it goes.

quadpoppy7
05-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Coles Dad
I sent you a pm

highside74
06-01-2012, 11:18 PM
DRR 50 on Seattle craigslist for $1100 stock