PDA

View Full Version : Quad MX at 40 Years Old....

DBF1972
05-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Need some advice...

I am contemplating starting to ride quad mx again, and possibly do some local races. I raced quad mx for two years (2006 & 2007), after racing bike mx for 15 years. I miss riding & racing quads, my wife and I were really into it, and we miss it.

However....we have two kids, a daughter 4-1/2 years old, and a son 2-1/2 years old. Yes, this throws a monkey wrench into the plans.

The good news is, my kids love going to the track, and they loved the quad mx ATV national at Budds Creek a few weeks ago.

Is there anyone out there in this sort of situation, or is riding, and getting their family involved?

The good news is, my son loves riding his battery powered quad in the yard! He is a little gearhead!

Thanks....

IdahoMX
05-27-2012, 09:14 PM
41 and race mx at the local level and can hold my own with the younger crowd. Crashed here recently and it sure takes longer to eal up though

jkiserracing
05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
I began racing quads back in 1991 (on a good ole Quadracer 250) I was 18/19 then. Raced a couple of years and absolutely loved it. I was pretty dang fast then too.
Well life and $$ got in the way or lack of $$ and I had to sell my quad.....
Fast forward a few years...

Im 39 today (will be 40) this year.....I got back in to riding about 6 years ago and just couldn't help it....I wanted to race again.
Today its my hobby really.....I have worked a little along the way to build myself the quad I want, and I race a series called sequads. I try to run a nat or two when I can. I too have a 4 year old and a 12 yr old...when we can all make a race we do...when we cant we cant.

Im not as fast as I used to be...I race because I enjoy it. I dont make a job out of it and I know Im not trying to be a pro. I dont try to ride beyond my capabilities but I race as best I can. Every race I go to .......I usually have a blast. I enjoy the friends Ive made both young and old and I hope I can continue to keep racing and riding for many many years to come.

So.....I say go for it!!!! And good luck to ya!

DBF1972
05-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys....I really appreciate your words of advice.

That was exactly what I was hoping for....

Just goes to show, that there are some great people in the quad mx world, and in life in general.

Thanks again....

Baracudaaa
05-28-2012, 08:53 AM
43 here, and just ran practice yesterday at Glen Helen against nothing but 20 year olds, was able to keep up with them, and pass a few.

I also have a 5 and 3 year old, and try to take them too as many local races as possible. In the end, you are never too old to race! My friends dad started racing in the novice line at the ripe old age of 62, and has made enough transfers to move to the intermediate line, so its hard to complain when he is on the start of every race.

jaspurx
05-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I`m 39 (for a few more months anyway lol) and still racing, both my sons race too. It was a little sketchy and a financial compromise when they were little.....but it paid off in the long run.

I say go for it,what better life learning experience example can you give to kids thats better than this?

axellmusic19
05-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I am 18 and my dad is over 52 now and he is really enjoying getting into the sport as I have somewhat dragged him in. I finished my race quad this year, and he is actually building his own now and although he was never too athletic but yet in good shape, he still has a blast putting on trails or getting silly on the track. He might not ever enter a race but he always enjoys a day out at practice or at a weekend event. I say it's a great family event that you can't miss out on especially considering how much quality time you can spend together as you probably know.

slightlybent47
05-28-2012, 05:59 PM
This is great to be in a sport that an old guy like me can still do at the age of 52.
I started back riding at 47 after being retired since 1986 and I found I could still keep up with most and even beat quite a few of the younger guys out there.
I started racing on an ex and I still ride it even though the 450’s are faster I beat all of them in my class the first year on my STOCK ex.lol
I don’t race that much these days but I still ride all the time (when the budget allows) and race a few every now and then. If I’m not racing I like to volunteer to man a hill and flag or work the safety safari and drag bikes back to the pits when the break down.

As for your question about racing and having kids I can’t help you much, if I had kids they would be grown. Some of the guys do race and so do there kids and it does seem to be a lot of work keeping everything on schedule and in working order but they seem to get it done.

The fun part is that at my age I have nothing to prove to anyone and I can just have fun. If I don’t do well that’s just fine with me. But I must confess it does feel good to beat the younger guys that are riding 450’s when I’m old and on a 400 ex.lol
I can still hang in the B class and do pretty well but we have some fast B riders and there hard to beat.

Just have fun with it and let be what it is, ride smart and don’t ride over your head and you should do fine.

Here is a vid I made a few years ago of my racing and just riding.
I'm on the red ex #47.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQM2czltScQ

DBF1972
05-28-2012, 07:01 PM
You guys are awesome....great words of advice.

I wished we all lived closer, so we could take the families to the track, and have fun...

Slightlybent.....nice powerslide around the lake / pond!

slightlybent47
05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DBF1972
You guys are awesome....great words of advice.

I wished we all lived closer, so we could take the families to the track, and have fun...

Slightlybent.....nice powerslide around the lake / pond!

Thanks, she was stock back then, she slides much better now that I made it wider. I broke the rear axel awhile back and had to put the stocker back on till I get another one.
She has more power now as well since I went to a 416 with12.5 to 1 cam, porting and a 450 carb.

KingpinsEx
05-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Go for it. At my local track some of the toughest guys to beat in the A class are 30 +. Age is just a number, look at guys like Doug Gust and Kevin Windam.

DBF1972
05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Well said....you are right.

Thank you...