PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed - Piston Condition

Number22
05-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I picked up a used 89 Motor with a PC2000 cylinder a few months back and just got around to checking it out. I haven't installed it yet, but I took a quick look at the piston in the cylinder. I'm no expert, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how it looks. Run it or have it looked at?

Thanks,

Sam

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/009tzo.jpg/

Motofool250r
05-27-2012, 01:23 AM
well it looks as if that piston has not been ran maybe started but not ran long.

leak down test it then check the compression and run it.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Motofool250r
well it looks as if that piston has not been ran maybe started but not ran long.

leak down test it then check the compression and run it.

X2,
if it has been ran, it sure looks mighty clean, but those scratches dont look good.
Another example of a piston with bridge cooling holes drilled in & no need for them in an oval exhaust port.
Neil

Number22
05-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the replies; I was concerned about the scratches as well.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Well, ol piston can look like crap, scratched all up, but long as the rings are tight, piston to cylinder clearance is what its suppose to be, it should run ok.

I've seen riders in a pinch, lite seize a piston at a race, pull the jug off & clean the aluminum off the bore, polish out the messed up place or places on the piston, new set of rings & go out & place good in their next race.

What I would be thinking about though, what it was causing those scratches on the piston & if what ever it was, if it is still in that engine to do some more scratching.

Remember, that cylinder is a nikisal bore, lot more tuff than an iron sleeve, but if what ever it is doing the scratching, it could maybe damage the bore plating & then you would need to send it off to get it repaired.
Neil