PDA

View Full Version : boyesen rad valve?

hartwill
05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Anybody know the difference between the different year cr250 radvalves? cr500 Rad valve is quite a bit bigger than stock right? I need to replace the reeds on mine but don't know what year it is from. You guys think the boyesens are just as good as v-force? Anybody ported there boyesens? Sorry for all the questions.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-26-2012, 04:16 PM
The CR250R Rad Valve, will be shorter than a TRX250R Rad Valve.
The tube you mount the carb to on the CR one, is where it is shorter & has just a tad different angle to it than a TRX Rad Valve.
Causes the carb to sit closer to the cylinder & sometimes make it hard to get the carb hooked up to the filter boot, because the valve is shorter & the different angle of the valve.

Normally if someone trying to use the CR reed or Rad Valve on the TRX engine, most time they will need to add in a reed spacer to make the carb sit back farther to the filter boot.

If your seeing the above, I'm guessing you could have the CR Rad Valve, but either way, if your wanting to replace the reed petals, get the # RL-19 reed set.
The RL-19 set is all fiberglass & cheaper than the carbon fiber & fiberglass set & will last longer than the carbon fiber.
Neil

beobe99
02-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Hate to bump this from 6-7 months ago but also had a qs. about the Rad Valve.

From reading above it looks like I have the CR rad valve (but was told its the TRX). - Picture below.

It's definitely shorter which I'm OK with, however the coupler coming off of the Valve itself is a tad bigger then my carb. I can crank the worm clamp down to seemingly have no air leaks but not comfortable with it..

-Is there a better coupler (boot) I could use?

-Am I screwed and need to get a different valve?

Not sure on the carb size but the # below is on the side.

PJ 67ra2lvd (KEIHIN)

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/beobe99/tttttt009_zpsab982a39.jpg

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

mx91a
02-11-2013, 06:54 PM
You definitely have a CR250 valve. The RB-3 boot from the TRX rad valve should fit the smaller PJ carbs better than the CR boot which is made for a 38mm.

http://boyesen.com/rad-valve-replacement-boots-2.html

beobe99
02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mx91a
You definitely have a CR250 valve. The RB-3 boot from the TRX rad valve should fit the smaller PJ carbs better than the CR boot which is made for a 38mm.

http://boyesen.com/rad-valve-replacement-boots-2.html

Thanks a lot for the info and link!!! Won't I have fitment issues on the valve side though with the smaller boot?

mx91a
02-11-2013, 07:33 PM
The valve side of the boot will be the same but the carb side will have a smaller ID for the smaller TRX carb.

beobe99
02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by mx91a
The valve side of the boot will be the same but the carb side will have a smaller ID for the smaller TRX carb.

Thanks again for the response! Going to order that now.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Be,
You can as well, go to an auto parts store like NAPA & get a piece of radiator hose.
They have long straight sections in different ID in stock they can cut a piece off of, like used on big trucks.
Just carry the carb & that old Rad valve rubber manifold with you & they can fix you right up for like $2 maybe $4 dollars.

That is what I've been using for years & on my daughters R, it has been on there since 04.
Neil

beobe99
02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Be,
You can as well, go to an auto parts store like NAPA & get a piece of radiator hose.
They have long straight sections in different ID in stock they can cut a piece off of, like used on big trucks.
Just carry the carb & that old Rad valve rubber manifold with you & they can fix you right up for like $2 maybe $4 dollars.

That is what I've been using for years & on my daughters R, it has been on there since 04.
Neil

Neil,

Was waiting for you to chime in but it was a day to late, I order the Part. I can't believe I didn't think of that right away!! I'm a huge car guy myself and actually have Silicone Rad Hose pieces laying around from the Subaru Build.

Ahhh!! My $17 (shipped) mistake.. I'll live..

While I have you, know anything about LT500R or LT250R intake boots working for a no-link swinger/shock clearance?

Thanks Neil,

Bob

C-LEIGH RACING
02-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Only thing I've heard about the boot deal, some have used the LT500 boot because it is fatter & longer & works much better than the TRX one.
Not heard of any using the LT250 boot.
I still use the ol 86 TRX boot, but a new soft LT500 Suzuki one would be nice to have.
Neil

beobe99
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Only thing I've heard about the boot deal, some have used the LT500 boot because it is fatter & longer & works much better than the TRX one.
Not heard of any using the LT250 boot.
I still use the ol 86 TRX boot, but a new soft LT500 Suzuki one would be nice to have.
Neil

Thanks Neil, Think I might hunt down the LT500 boot to check it out.