PDA

View Full Version : New Oil Cooler Mod? "just a theory"

JOHNDOE83
05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Well, I got to thinking about oil cooler's and how the demand for bigger oil cooler's in atv's is something that some people feel are a nessescary mod.

So, I was looking at my EX oil cooler, Then I saw a cr80 radiator. The fins and tubing in both are almost the same size, I bet oil would flow through it just fine?

The radiator is thicker and overall bigger, the only obstical would be where to mount it, being that long ways is top to bottom instead of side to side like the EX oil cooler.

Which led me to thinking....?

With a taller but same sized type radiator "like a cr125 radiator" you could possibly eliminate the oil tank and oil cooler all together and fit the radiator in the same spot as the oil tank and oil cooler would have been.

The result would be weight loss with high flowing super cooled oil, you could even spal fan it!

So, anyone wanna try it? I would but my 400ex is no longer a 4 stroke:chinese:

What are your thought's and opinions?

Drfat400ex
05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Man you come up with some really good ideas, as long as it wouldn't get damamged down there, it shouldn't though, I think it sounds like a great idea. Subscribed.

quadracer556
05-24-2012, 06:24 PM
honestly i love my FST cooler kit. the money spent was mostly for the plans as i didnt know where to begin and ended up replacing the rubber lines with steel braid.having gone through that tho its perfect. i'll sell u a copy of the plans for $50........wait nevermind.dont want mickey showing up at my house causing a ruckus.
combined with a spal puller fan my 426 never ran so cool.think it was 160-175 at the dipstick. was reading up to 275 before that.good idea tho.

ajw2685
05-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't know if removing the oil tank from the system would work. These are dry-sump engines. In such a system you need a "container" for the oil. Granted, the huge cooler could serve as one, but I think the tank is where it is for a design/engineering reason. Now, I could be completely wrong as I am not an engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Stickman400
05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by ajw2685
nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. lol, haven't heard that one in awhile.