PDA

View Full Version : Need affordable shock options please

highside74
05-24-2012, 01:07 AM
I can't afford the prices I'm seeing for shock's. I really would like to get my boy's quad smoothed out some. It is a 2006 Kymco 50. The factory shock's beat the snot out of him even on pavement. lol. Not really but close.

Any idea's or trick's to get him a better setup without spending big money would be greatly appreciated. Even used is not out of the question. Thanks.

highside74
05-27-2012, 10:02 PM
97 views and not one response. I thought this forum would be better.

Cobra50Dad
05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I am not going to be much help but iwill post. I haven't heard of any shock options for kymcos but I am sure there are shocks out there that could be made to work if some fabrication was done. As for cheap, maybe lower stage elkas, works, or some types like that would work with some minimal work to the frame. I would measure eye to eye and then look around to see if you can find some that length. That will be the only way I know to find a match.

highside74
05-28-2012, 12:36 AM
All three are basically 10.5 eye to eye. I can fabricate anything within reason. Rear travel is almost nothing right now. Thanks.

RCR_531
05-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Pit bikes use 10.5 for the rear shock. There are a lot of them on Eday

highside74
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Seen some stuff on ebay. Not sure of the quality. That's why I brought my questions here.

greenmachine70
05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
we dont know what you consider affordable first off.
The older single a-arm kaseas and drr's I believe used that length shock also.
Not many out there.
DRR and Pitster are using DNM. My son tested the DNM for DRR back in 2010. Once we got the right spring weight they were excellent. They were as good as elka stage3 and much cheaper.
It was tested on a DRR with dual a-arms.
The adjustments ere very noticeable and they lasted 3/4 season no problems.

http://www.dnmshock.com/

edwardsp&b
05-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Not trying to hurt your feelings or wallet, but if you find the need for better shocks because your child is wearing out the kymco, then its just time for a better suspensioned bike.
I always view the kymcos, etons, etc.. as starter yard quads. Maybe even for the first few races they enter. But if they start jumping and going fast on a track, or hitting jumps harder, its time to change.

I wouldnt let my knucklehead out anywhere on a quad without good suspension. He would either get hurt or bring it back in tore in half. Use the kymco to teach him to ride, then spend the shock money to just buy a better suspensioned quad.
Bryan

#404's Dad
05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
Not trying to hurt your feelings or wallet, but if you find the need for better shocks because your child is wearing out the kymco, then its just time for a better suspensioned bike.
I always view the kymcos, etons, etc.. as starter yard quads. Maybe even for the first few races they enter. But if they start jumping and going fast on a track, or hitting jumps harder, its time to change.

I wouldnt let my knucklehead out anywhere on a quad without good suspension. He would either get hurt or bring it back in tore in half. Use the kymco to teach him to ride, then spend the shock money to just buy a better suspensioned quad.
Bryan

Agree 100%