PDA

View Full Version : best performance options 50cc

asadad00
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
My first time building a 50 race quad need some advice. I got a nephew that rides very well, he has a 2009 l/c DRR and we want to build the very best 50 cvt for MX. What is the newest best thing available on the market...cylinder, pipe, carb size etc
thanks

redonkulousruntsracing
05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
From past experience there are 2 options.
1. If you are using an engine builder I highly recommend Chris Grissom. Be built my 50 production engine last season and and there were few that could touch it. And believe it or not you dont need the most expensive parts out there. We used a Stage 6 aluminum race cylinder, Motoforce Evolution HPC 80 mm crank, Stage 6 digital ignition, the Koso MX pipe Stage 6 digital ignition and a 21mm PWK carb. Chris machines the cylinder to his specs and his was a very strong and reliable combo.
2. If you want the best bolt on set up, a Malossi MHR Team 50cc cylinder and crank, Stage 6 digital ignition, Mach1 pipe and a 21mm PWK carb works good to. Those are top dollar parts, if you want go spend money to say you have the best parts then this is the way to go.
I would save the money on parts and have Grissom build the motor, that's the route I took last season and it always was one of the fastest quads in his class. A Stage 6 sport variator and adjustable clutch was the money set up for us last season. PM me if you have any other questions, after spending 4 years in the 50 class, I would like to think that we had it figured out. Ask anyone Chris Grissom is the man when it comes to building a fast 50!

thequadfather+2
05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Or you can call Marc Smith at Hot Quads. He builds some of the fastest 50's out there. He can point you in the right direction or just build you one. Just Ask Henson or Lindquist who are both front runners in the 50 cvt class at the nationals. Henson has been taking almost all the hole shots so far. Shane Cooter is up front too on a Max RPM supported quad. Just talk to some of those guys what they like. As stated earlier, I think The MHR is the better choice but of course it needs a little TLC, a matching pipe and good clutching.

Of course this is just an opinion--1 opinion.:D

jay-r
05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Both opinions here are good. Chris Grissom builds great engines. I have 2 single speeds that he built. However, I must say that Quadfather is telling you straight. Henson and Lindquist have, by far, the fastest 50s I have ever seen. They are incredible. Not just holeshots, but power everywhere and top speed that is hard to match. Of course, you will have to get and keep the clutching dialed in to use all that power. That is tougher than building the engine.

thequadfather+2
05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Absolutely, Mr reed is right and Chris keeps the power supplied to the 22 machine generously.:devil:

hensonfamfun
05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Asadad00 they are all great and I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three. Marc has done nothing but absolutely build us a great engine and everything I have seen of Justin's at maximum rpm is wicked as well. I don't know a lot about Chris Grissom engines but those that I know that run them can move.........don't let Jay-r fool ya.......that engine of his can haul the mail as well:) . If you can hold out till August the 12th I know where you can get a great deal on a 50 CVT complete. All you have to do is pop it in place, slap the chain on and you gone!:)

thequadfather+2
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil:

I knew that was coming!!!! Actually thats the only way to go. Carb, pvl, pipe and motor all clutched and ready to go. I bet that thing will sale before Loretta's and someone takes it home right after moto #2 on Sunday evening. Heck, all the work is already done.

asadad00
05-29-2012, 08:45 AM
I got some pm's as well that stated the Hot quads set-up was dominating everything at the ATVA, they said nothing else comes close. One guy says last years 50cc motors couldn't compete with this years performance is that true?

hensonfamfun
05-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't know if that's all true. I think the Lindquist's run last years motor and he is the front runner in the 50 CVT class. There is a good mix of different motors in the top 10 so maybe somebody else can give you a better explanation but its a strong class and I'm not so sure there is one dominant engine.

thequadfather+2
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Not much has changed in technology with those motors. The engine builders may be getting a little more out of them now. Our Polini (50) motor from last year would not run up front this year but as Henson stated several competitive quads are running last years stuff. Ford and Lindquist had the fastest quads last year and both of those quads are on the gate every time it drops this year.

Just remember the motor is only one part. The clutching and jetting are crucial on a 50 because it doesnt have the power to overcome a clutching flaw or jetting issue. If you are a little off on a 2fast 90 you may not notice as much but if you are off on the 50 it just magnifies the problem and the quad is significantly slower. I chased our Polini all year, one week we were close and the next week it wouldnt get out of it's own way. Thats a far cry from what Henson has...That motor is solid and was clutched and jetted 2 weeks before the season started and the only change has been a single change to the main jet because of the warmer temps. he has not adjusted his setup one single time, wouldnt even consider it, no rollers, no sprocket, no belt, no variator...nothing, Just a fresh spring and ride. It makes me sick because I have issues every race like a bad coil, shredded belt, blown tranny, broken swing arm, ect, ect....

All the major vendors know what they are doing and can build good stuff. Marc built Henson a good motor that's reliable and very strong I think that was the only point we are making. I think everyone should support their vendor of choice.

I will say this, at the nationals I would not have made every moto without the help of Justin and his Max RPM team. anyone running mini's at the nats can tell you about their team/rider (and regular customer) support.

Bens Dad
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Well This year I have run the 50cc cvt our first motor was a polini with polini 80mm crank stage6 ign tried hetrick gen3 and mac1 50 pipe,and it run great. top 4 on every race at nationals. always near the rear of the pack on holeshots. I just built a 50 mhr with 85mm crank mac1 intake mac1 50 pipe with overrang trans with the help of Mark at Hot Quads and Im here to tell you right now it has twice the power of the polini! according to my Butt dyno!!! Mark has put me on the right path on my evo7 and now my 50cvt!and Hensons Bike has nitrous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

hensonfamfun
05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Listen......If it will haul Cushman's big ole rear (the Dad) then that thing has to be fast:) . I heard you got a faster engine.....thats ok.....I got a bigger bottle!!!!!!::devil: Lets try not to get Connor all fired up this weekend!!!!!!

thequadfather+2
05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I think somebody needs to take you down a notch or two sonny....:devil:
You are a marked man!!!!

Hey what are friends for?

jay-r
05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Nothing like bench racing between dads. I see NOS stickers going on Henson's Apex. The secret is out. :D

hensonfamfun
05-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Lol!!!!!!! Somebody find the stickers and we will slap em on!! That's awesome. All jokes aside I hope engine screams Cushman! We love Ben and want to see that quad run strong!

jake55
05-30-2012, 05:13 AM
oh my, got to watch those southern boys, never know what gimicks they will try to get out front!!!!!!!!
ive noticed Mr. Henson always has a smile on his face, now we know why, the dang bottle has a small leak and he's inhaled a few vapors!:devil: :D :devil: