PDA

View Full Version : 400ex mods

Jackson400ex
05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
What are the best mods to increase the power of a 400ex?

jkosakowski
05-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Exhaust (i prefer motoworks), 450r fcr carb, stage 2 hotcam, 11:1 comp wiseco piston.

quadmanw
05-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Air filter, no lid, sparks key. Remove snorkel. Just some small things..

JOHNDOE83
05-23-2012, 06:17 PM
The best mod for increased power is a 440 kit.

The next best mod is +1 or +2mm valves.

Cams are excellent ways to get more usable power, stage 2 hotcam seems to be most popular.

The best carb for power, is the 42mm 04-05 450r carb.

The best exhaust is which ever one has the MOST mass airflow. "I think" the stock header with a decent slipon is fine, "I" prefer a hollowed out slipon with NO packing for mass airflow.

Filters and airbox mods are great for cheap power increase's, If your using a stock carb, the choke removal along with airbox mods and a filter with some jetting and a slipon will be a nice cheap boost in performance.

hondarider2006
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
This all depends. How much $ do you have to spend?? And one thing many people don't realize is you can have a beast motor and all.... But if you can't get it to the ground than what's the point? I say start with suspension mods first.... Than build your motor....

But hey, who am I to tell you what to do:cool:

Rohr397
05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by jkosakowski
Exhaust (i prefer motoworks), 450r fcr carb, stage 2 hotcam, 11:1 comp wiseco piston.

MOTOWORKS!!!!!!! :D

jkosakowski
05-24-2012, 04:50 AM
I say start with suspension mods first.... Than build your motor....

Very true i Love my suspension, now that i sent it to gt thunder and im alot faster.!
:D

TacicalRedneck
05-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Rohr397
MOTOWORKS!!!!!!! :D

hehe you guys like your motoworks, for me its a stock header with an old TC racing shorty slip-on.

But there are downsides to these big bores if you go for them.... The more mods you make to increase power, the harder it is to get the jetting right... well... at least for me it is :D

Now i've got a 416 with the tc setup.. it will fly pretty good. But like the others say... it wouldn't be near as good with out the smooth/ stable ride.:blah:

:) :D :cool:

400exshop
05-24-2012, 06:55 AM
The main thing every one should have asked is what type of ridding are you going to be doing.

That will deside what you need to do first. So what kind of racing do you do?, woods race, drag race,mx racing,cx racing,TT racing,trail ride, or just ride for fun?

That will get you going in the right way.

If you just wont to fly I can help you but is big $$$$$$$$$ lol .......

JOHNDOE83
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey man, all he asked was how to get the most power, not what type of shocks to buy.....:blah: J/k

I actually hardcore mx raced my EX for years with stock suspension, made alot of high quality 450r riders pretty mad.

tri5ron
05-26-2012, 03:33 PM
this is all you need....

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=36

jkosakowski
05-26-2012, 04:23 PM
^ very true i love mine but i got blue powerbands :D

bmxatv
06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
The best mod for increased power is a 440 kit.

The next best mod is +1 or +2mm valves.

Cams are excellent ways to get more usable power, stage 2 hotcam seems to be most popular.

The best carb for power, is the 42mm 04-05 450r carb.

The best exhaust is which ever one has the MOST mass airflow. "I think" the stock header with a decent slipon is fine, "I" prefer a hollowed out slipon with NO packing for mass airflow.

Filters and airbox mods are great for cheap power increase's, If your using a stock carb, the choke removal along with airbox mods and a filter with some jetting and a slipon will be a nice cheap boost in performance. not to jack the thread but how does the choke removal work? can you explain? wont that make cold starts even harder when honda's are already known for being bad cold starters?

Rohr397
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I recently asked the same question so here's the answer I got. Basically it allows more flow through the carburetor. Cold starts are easy for mine. Three pumps of the throttle, hit the electric starter and another pump or two if it doesn't fire right away and it's good to go. Even easier now that I'm properly jetted.

chronicsmoke
06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by jkosakowski
^ very true i love mine but i got blue powerbands :D
I love the purple one I have for my 250 :D

My vote goes to start with suspension.

I removed the choke from my carb and haven't noticed even the slightest difference.

Jackson400ex
06-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks to all for giving these suggestions and i mostly just trail ride for fun. I removed my choke and it does take a little while to turn over in the winter time. How do those adjustable powerbands work?

dxcody
06-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Jackson400ex
Thanks to all for giving these suggestions and i mostly just trail ride for fun. I removed my choke and it does take a little while to turn over in the winter time. How do those adjustable powerbands work?

Its actually pretty amazing how the powerbands work.

You wrap them around your wobbleshaft and it increases the rotation in it.

The different colors mean different things, purple implies low end, red is top end and blue is all around power.

You just cant forget if you buy powerbands your Kanooter (KA-new-TUR~) valve usually goes out not long after. So you have to double wrap your exhaust bearings or they blow right out.

:cool:

cheater13
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
LOL at the powerband conversations!

But i was just wandering, does that motoworks slip on work with a FMF Powerbomb header? Found a motoworks on ebay for only 209 shipped brand new which i guess is pretty good. My Titanium 4 is slowly wearing out since it's getting so old.

HondaRacing83
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
id just repack your exhaust but if you want a motoworks which i love yes it will work with the powerbong. if a pipe works with the stock header itll work with powerbong

Jackson400ex
06-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Another question, Would you suggest the stage 2 or stage 1 hotcam?

Rohr397
06-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
id just repack your exhaust but if you want a motoworks which i love yes it will work with the powerbong. if a pipe works with the stock header itll work with powerbong

Powerbong?! What?! Hahaha

chronicsmoke
06-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Powerbong?! What?! Hahaha

Also interested.. :p

Rohr397
06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Drugs are bad, mmmmkay?