PDA

View Full Version : has anyone done this

nooch55
05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Ok my front fenders had two cracks one about 5 inches from nose up.the other was about 3 inches between nose and fender .I was going to stitch them but got to thinking .I have a soldering iron that has a fat tip about size of the kindergarten husky pencils .So i cut up an old black milk crate and melted the plastic between and over the cracks a couple inches over and beside the cracks . I did this to top and bottom. turned out good feels stronger than before

CJM
05-22-2012, 06:16 PM
yep, I got a plastic welder kit from harbor freight. basically same idea as a giant soldering iron.

I didnt use the milk crate to reinforce it tho. What I did was use some fine screen mesh and melt it in, makes it super strong and the crack cant some apart.

nooch55
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
It seems really strong i cut the milk crate into small pieces and melted it into and around the cracks

jkosakowski
05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
I have the harbor freight plastic welder.....works wonders and saves money! :)

on the rocks
05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
i have tried soldering plastics before with out any luck, i always thought i need some sort of filler. milk crate is a good idea.

CJM
05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
You do need a filler of some sort for it to work well.

I found that the plastic bins they sell at the home center stores is near a perfect match for the red plastics. Also you can buy special plastic welding rods that are flat and black and will mend most any plastic. Also reinforcing the repairs with something like the screen mesh I mentioned earlier makes them stronger. I just rolled down a hill and the quad cart wheeled yet the crack I repaired thats on my back plastics didnt even break anywhere.

dxcody
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And it was a big *** hill!

lol just messin with ya CJM
:D

But it was big!

nooch55
05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Good im glad it should work pretty good the fat soldering iron worked really well.Now im going to sand it down a little smoother and try the plastic sand and wax method i was reading about thanks for all the help

CJM
05-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And it was a big *** hill!

lol just messin with ya CJM
:D

But it was big!

But go figure,t he plastic survives basically just scratched up yet the AL grab bar is a pretzel. TBH that PRM grab bar probably saved it all lol.