PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil

quadmad
05-22-2012, 01:50 AM
I would love here from someone who has used Amsoil and hear your thoughts on it.

JoePA
05-22-2012, 07:48 AM
I haven't run it in my R yet but ran it in a friends banshee that was built for hill climbing for two years. We ran interceptor at 32:1 and when we tore it down to refresh it looked amazing. Minimal carbon on top of the piston and it looked really good. So good that we put new gaskets on and put it back together and ran it for another year.

If you run dominator I believe that will protect a little better for the all out racing but we did very well running the interceptor.

J250r
05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Joe,

Which Amsoil is recommended to be mixed 50:1? Is that interceptor, or dominator? Or both?

When you mixed it at 32:1, was that the recommendation on the bottle?

Motofool250r
05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
nearly all of the synthetic oil now a days have the properties to be run easily at 50:1

but what do you gain at 50:1 over a little more oil.

not really much honestly horsepower wise. you will have less spooge and oil in the pipe though.

ran amsoil in some cars and the guys on macdizzy seem to like the stuff

give it a shot just remember to watch your jetting carefully when changing oil mixtures.

HAYESTRX250R
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Dominator 50:1 here. I estimate easily over 110 hours of use since 2003 when I bought my R. CT national built 265 with 16cc dome on 110 octane. I could not tell you for sure what piston is in it. Never fouled a plug and I run a large main jet. I have finally parked it (mostly) since noticing the compression drop from 225psi to 215psi. I cannot be sure how many hours the engine had when I bought it, but I estimate it had under 10hrs for a total of 120. I have used a K&N with an outerwears cleaned every ride. I have ridden plenty of dusty Kentucky/Indiana trails and tracks over the years. The only negative thing I have found researching tests of this oil is the anti corrosion properties related to long term storage. I know there are oils just as good, but I couldn't change with these results.

quadmad
05-22-2012, 11:12 PM
I am told it smells cool also.

beerock
05-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I run Amsoil Dominator @ 50:1 I ran a 265 in glamis for 80 hours which was pretty much WOT the 10 days I was out there and the engine blew due to the 86 style piston(exhaust side skirt broke)... 80 hours WOT is A LOT

I only run amsoil domnator now...

sangheraent
05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
google flash point and check out amsoil's flash points. then check out castor 927's flash point.

One is more designed for general use and one is designed for off road use.

I was an amsoil user for 2 years, then 1 hot day hill climbing at the dunes and a top end later I am not.

beerock
05-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by sangheraent
google flash point and check out amsoil's flash points. then check out castor 927's flash point.

One is more designed for general use and one is designed for off road use.

I was an amsoil user for 2 years, then 1 hot day hill climbing at the dunes and a top end later I am not.

you can blame your oil for that but your grabbing at straws I use to use castor 927 smells great but you cant mix that at 50;1 has to be 32;1 and that oil gums the hell out of the exhaust and fouls plugs because the flash point is so high... 2 stroke oil is suppose to burn in the combustion chamber so a lwer flash point is better. and when you have a flash point that is rediculously high like most castor oils you get carbon on top of the piston and the other things I mentioned.. even possibly a stuck ring from carbon build up..

the castor type oils require mroe frequent cleanng of the cylinders without even replacing the rings and pistons due tot he carbon build up...

a hot day and hill climbing sounds like to small a jet and high engine temps- which require the jetting to be richer...

blame the oil all you want...

I ran the amsoil dominator in 90-100 degree heat in glamis and held the throttle open WOT for most of the time with my 265 and paddles otherwise i was just putting around...

audioworks04
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I assume we are talking about mix oil; I ran dominator and interceptor at 44:1 for a few years, they both burn very clean, but became hard to find around here and switched to klotz 40:1, never had an issue with either but klotz does smell amazing. But if you are talking about tranny oil, I ran their gear lube for a while, but switched back to honda, it cheaper and have never had a problem with it either.

sangheraent
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't have a strong argument against amsoil causing my engine problem. But I run temp gauges on all my bikes and I have seen them around 200 once in a while. That's not a risk I like to take. And I have always run 32:1 in all of my bikes for years.

quadmad
05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
And with a different oil it runs cooler? But are you running a richers mixture?

beerock
05-24-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't have a strong argument against amsoil causing my engine problem. But I run temp gauges on all my bikes and I have seen them around 200 once in a while. That's not a risk I like to take. And I have always run 32:1 in all of my bikes for years.

ok so your operating temp with amsoil at 50:1 was? and your main jet was?

and your operating temp with castor 927 was? and your main jet was?

also, what radiator were you using?

also, running at 32:1 requires more oil and a larger main which actually makes the bike less fuel efficient. and since there is mor eoil and less gas youll get lower MPG per tank

at 50;1 you use less oil, smaller main jet the bike is more fuel efficient and you get mroe mpg per tank

therefore you are producing less power.. and that would show through your temp gauge...

spark plug temp range comes into play too.

a stock cr250 has a normal operating temp f 150-190 STOCK....

sangheraent
05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I run it at 32 to1 for piece of mind. I don't care about fuel mileage or small power gains.

I run a stock rad on all my bikes run an 80-20 water coolent ratio.

My banshee rarely goes above 150 unless I work it real hard. It went to 210 one time and now it needs a new top end. I ran maxima super M for 3 dune trips about 50 hours of total hard riding and the bike was fine. (I only ran super M because amsoil wasn't available, so this last trip I brought my own amsoil from home.)

My rm250 never goes above 170 and I work the piss out of it.

My 250r generally runs at 170 however I have seen it at 250 about 3 times. (it burns trans fluid). It got hot when I was riding in the snow and some summer motocross.

I ran amsoil up until about a month ago. I am not an expert. My ONLY point is that the flash point is low.

from what I know it is better oil in every aspect besides the flash point. if you never go over 190 sure its amazing but I know it has happened to me so I would rather be protected.

beerock
05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I run it at 32 to1 for piece of mind. I don't care about fuel mileage or small power gains.

I run a stock rad on all my bikes run an 80-20 water coolent ratio.

My banshee rarely goes above 150 unless I work it real hard. It went to 210 one time and now it needs a new top end. I ran maxima super M for 3 dune trips about 50 hours of total hard riding and the bike was fine. (I only ran super M because amsoil wasn't available, so this last trip I brought my own amsoil from home.)

My rm250 never goes above 170 and I work the piss out of it.

My 250r generally runs at 170 however I have seen it at 250 about 3 times. (it burns trans fluid). It got hot when I was riding in the snow and some summer motocross.

I ran amsoil up until about a month ago. I am not an expert. My ONLY point is that the flash point is low.

from what I know it is better oil in every aspect besides the flash point. if you never go over 190 sure its amazing but I know it has happened to me so I would rather be protected.

your hind sight is the flash point. plain and simple.. the amsoil is cleaner oil. 2 major reasons.. ring stick due to carbon AND higher compression due to carbon build up with the maxima which changes your temp and jet without even realizing it and its high flash point is the reason

80-20 for coolant water? PLEASE tell me the details... 80 coolant 20 water or 80 water 20 coolantt?

HAYESTRX250R
05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by beerock
your hind sight is the flash point. plain and simple.. the amsoil is cleaner oil. 2 major reasons.. ring stick due to carbon AND higher compression due to carbon build up with the maxima which changes your temp and jet without even realizing it and its high flash point is the reason

80-20 for coolant water? PLEASE tell me the details... 80 coolant 20 water or 80 water 20 coolantt?

I rarely change jets and run cool with 100% liquid performance antifreeze.