PDA

View Full Version : Timing marks off by 1/8th in. Problem or not?

bostthehause
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
I am re-assembling the top end in the 400ex. When I set the timing, the two marks on the cam sprocket are off by about 1/8th of an inch. One is a little below the gasket surface and the other is a little above. I have triple checked that I timed it correctly. So my question is will 1/8th of an inch have any effect on how the motor runs? I just wanted to ask before I finish bolting everything up.

Stickman400
05-21-2012, 10:08 PM
They should be dead on. But it could be off by that 1/8" because you didn't have the T mark on the flywheel lined up EXACTLY with the mark on the case. I don't think it would make a difference though. Get it assembled and try to start it, if it doesn't start then you know where to start looking.

TheAwesomehonda
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I had this same problem. My cam chain was stretched and that was causing it. new cam chain and it lined up perfect. So is the cam chain new?

01boneless
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
if the tentioner is released they will be a bit off. but u want them dead on if u can. ive had them a little bit off before though just because you cant always get the crank marks perfect by eye it should be fine but you want it to look just like thishttp://i45.tinypic.com/ng95xe.jpg

bostthehause
05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I had this same problem. My cam chain was stretched and that was causing it. new cam chain and it lined up perfect. So is the cam chain new?

No the cam chain is not new. I am almost 99% certain that a stretched cam chain is the reason that the timing marks aren't perfect. I was just wondering how large of an effect the 1/8th of an inch would have on how the motor runs. I guess I'm just gonna fire it up and see.

I am planning on replacing the cam chain soon. Just not right now, because funds are tight. Sometime in the near future ill be replacing the cam chain and the clutch pack.

TheAwesomehonda
05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by bostthehause
No the cam chain is not new. I am almost 99% certain that a stretched cam chain is the reason that the timing marks aren't perfect. I was just wondering how large of an effect the 1/8th of an inch would have on how the motor runs. I guess I'm just gonna fire it up and see.

I am planning on replacing the cam chain soon. Just not right now, because funds are tight. Sometime in the near future ill be replacing the cam chain and the clutch pack. Yeahs that your problem then. Does it tick alot? No i don't think it will affect the performance.

dxcody
05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
You will be able to tell if your chain is stretched, real quick.

As soon as you start turning the motor over you will hear it slapping.

Just remember to loc-tite those bolts in the sprocket. Trust me, it sucks when the cam chain rips off your sprocket at wide open throttle....

CJM
05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Blue loctite to be exact btw.

As far as the timing marks: No matter what EX I have had open the marks dont line up 100% exact. One mark is always slightly off (say a 1/16"). None have had issues tho.