PDA

View Full Version : painting rear

dirtrider420
05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm looking to paint my axles cheap way with sending them to get powder coated doing gloss black how would I prep it so it don't come off

Stickman400
05-21-2012, 09:59 PM
If you're sending it to a company that does PC'ing then you don't need to do any prep to it. They do everything that's needed to it when they apply the PC.

dirtrider420
05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I meant to say without sending.sorry

Stickman400
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM
O, can't help ya there. I know some people have PC'd stuff themselves on here. Maybe they can help you out.

chronicsmoke
05-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Have it sandblasted.. the powder will stick better

JOHNDOE83
05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
put your atv on some jackstands and do this.

remove your hubs/ rimsand tires, start the atv, put it in second gear, let the axle spin at high or regular idle "whatever you prefer" or "whatever works best for you".

Then take a sander to the axle or even a wire brush while everything is spinning, after you get it to a clean smooth condition, clean it with denatured alcohol or acetone and a rag.

You then can make a template out of cardboard to fit over your axle so you can paint without getting over spray on your swinger and sproket hubs "if you do" it comes of easily with paint thinner or laquer thinner, OR you could tape everything off with tape and newspaper then paint, dry, remove and be done.

I would just use Spray paint, it will chip, it will scratch, but it will look great when its new, you could also touch it up anytime you need to.

When the paint chipping is so bad that you cant just spray it over, wipe the paint off the axle with acetone and rags, it will come off clean and easy, then its already sanded and prepped for paint again and will look brand new.

Pick any color you want thats offered in a spray can, the have this new chameleon paint I wanna try on some odds and ends parts, but if you pick something like flat black, it is easily touched up with a lil more spray.

Thats what I did.....Good luck and post pics......lol.

And in all honesty, once its sanded you might wanna leave it like that?

dirtrider420
05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Yea Imma do black cuz I have black plastic ill try to post pics this weekend

Thumpin440ex
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Spray bomb looks good, but is gone after the first ride. :(

John