PDA

View Full Version : Who here pulls a travel trailer / toy hauler?

fuddrucker
03-06-2003, 07:12 AM
I just bought a 22ft. 2004 Weekend Warrior. Empty weight is about 5000Lbs. I had the electric brake controller box, weight distribution bars, and sway control system installed as well. My truck is a 2002 GMC Sierra xtra cab with the 5.3 liter Vortec V8, heavy duty trailering equipment, tow package, and 3.73 gear ratio with heavy duty rear axel.

If anyone here tow's something similar, can you tell me how your truck handles the weight. I brought it home and it sure was a bumpy / jerky ride. I know I need to get used to having electric brakes and fine tune the setting, but it was amazing just how much the trailer put a load on the engine, and how jerky the ride was. Kind of as if someone was bumping into the back of the truck as it is going down the road. I am guessing this is just caused by the weight of the trailer pushing down on the hitch as it goes over bumps in the road.

Two things concerned me. 1. I could smell something getting really hot. Brakes I beleive. 2. I kept hearing a loud poping noise coming from the hitch area. I beleive it is the weight distribution system trying to balance the load. I think it was the chain links popping as the load adjusts.

Again, can anyone here who has a similar setup tell me your experiences. Just want to know if this has been your experience as well. Also, I am planning on installing air springs (air bags that go between the frame and rear axel) because I hear these really smooth out the ride and will keep the rear end of the truck up higher with all the weight from the trailer.

Thanks.