PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question.....

junior636
05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Hey guys, I've been out of the mx game for about 8 years. I used to do about every jump at the track. I'm having a little trouble getting comfortable with my jump speeds again and already ate it hard my first time out. So, I only have one guy I ride with that does any big jumps but he's on a bike....are the speeds about the same to clear a distance? Seems like I would have to go faster on the quad. I don't want to just follow over an 80 footer and find out the hard way.

beastlywarrior
05-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Theoretically yes according to laws of physics

quad2xtreme
05-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I rode my quad mostly with bike guys. If I follow them off a jump at bike speed, I will land short every time! Now that I am riding a bike too, you can definitely go further with less speed.

junior636
05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I figured...so I need to go just a little faster I guess. I was fine until I crashed then I lost all my confidence plus they changed just about every jump at my old track.

slightlybent47
05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
You can’t expect to be any where close to where you were back in the day.
If you try to ride at the level you once did, then you’re most likely going to go down hard. (Sounds like you already have).

You’re going to have to work on it in steps like you did in the beginning. Start with safe jumps like tables so if you come up short you’ll survive.
I started back riding after 20 years of retirement and I had to start all over again.
Give yourself time to adjust to being back on a quad again and get your strength up and get a feel for everything.
Think back and remember how to comet to a jump and not back off the throttle. That’s the most common mistake people make.
Following faster riders over a jump can help you get a feel for it but it generally means you’re not ready to ride at that level.

My sig sums it up pretty well.

chucked
05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Theres a ton of variables, Im no expert, but suspension and pre-load have alot to do with jump distance. Last time I was out at mx I tweaked my suspension to jump farther. I had a setup sheet in front of me but I dont remember what I did. There is a science to it.

slightlybent47
05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Theres a ton of variables, Im no expert, but suspension and pre-load have alot to do with jump distance. Last time I was out at mx I tweaked my suspension to jump farther. I had a setup sheet in front of me but I dont remember what I did. There is a science to it.

That’s a good point and if I may add to that, body position and the technique you use will affect jump height and distance. ie. Preloading or scrubbing.

junior636
05-22-2012, 06:06 AM
I think the biggest problem is that I used to ride every single day even if it wasn't at the track. Now I live in the city and don't get to practice much and have to drive at least 30 mins just to ride somewhere.