PDA

View Full Version : what could have caused this?

rollie
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
just kicked the bike over, did half a lap, got stuck in 4th gear, rolled it back, got it to shift fine, took it apart and found this:confused:

fomospede
05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
bad bearings allowing the gear mesh to seperate?
total tear down or it will bite you twice

DnB_racing
05-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
bad bearings allowing the gear mesh to seperate?
total tear down or it will bite you twice I agree its a good chance its a bad bearing....

but Rollie you might get lucky and find just bad clutch bearings

check all the gears for any play, with this you should be able to move one of the shafts if itsloose enough to do this

were there any loose bolts that could have gotten jammed?

EDIT::: what Type of basket? is there a chance when the drive gear was installed on the basket the bolts holding the basket to the gear were over torqued?or over penned I see the punch marks??

the reason I ask is the missing gears line up with the mounting bolts

rollie
05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Its a hinson basket so they may have been over tightened, i was told that the motor was brand new before i bought it so im hoping its not anything down in the bottom end, i was thinking it could have had something to do with the kick starter but idk

rollie
05-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing

EDIT::: what Type of basket? is there a chance when the drive gear was installed on the basket the bolts holding the basket to the gear were over torqued?or over penned I see the punch marks??

the reason I ask is the missing gears line up with the mounting bolts

Wow i didnt notice that, i took it apart earlier today and i should have used my torque wrench to see what they where at, i was told this motor was just built last October with new bearings and all so that seems like it could be, i had to use an impact to get them off as well, and everything inside the case looks to be fine, so perhaps that what ended up happening

d3ktrix
05-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Those bolts are supposed to get red loc tite when u install them. So no surprise they were hard to get out.

Wouldnt the bolts strip out if u over tightened them enough to weaken the gear? Dont they thread into the alum basket?

DnB_racing
05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Those bolts are supposed to get red loc tite when u install them. So no surprise they were hard to get out.

Wouldnt the bolts strip out if u over tightened them enough to weaken the gear? Dont they thread into the alum basket? ya they do go through to the basket, but from the looks of it im not sure if loctite was used, but was punched instead, being very tight and a combination of center punching a little too hard may have caused some week spots

then when the kick start gear engaged it was just enough to finish it off....MAYBE???? who knows it might have been dropped prior to install, causing stress as well???

but I would still check all the remaining shafts for any possible sign of play, possibly caused by a bearing..

but if everything else is tight i wouldn't hesitate throwing a new gear on and try it.
i wouldnt split it unless I found some signs of wear or play

fomospede
05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
DnB i think your on to something smarty pants!!
if that rig is a 06 plus even a very small pc of that hard material will or could play havoc on the crappy tranny drain bolt

rollie
05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
DnB i think your on to something smarty pants!!
if that rig is a 06 plus even a very small pc of that hard material will or could play havoc on the crappy tranny drain bolt

You mean like this....

rollie
05-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a tough time believing that it is a crank bearing when the motor has maybe 20 hours on a fresh bottom end up rebuild, however i am going to give the guys who the old owner said built the motor a call and see if he was just BS'ing me or not