PDA

View Full Version : TRX90 Shifter Hard to Pull

liverebel
05-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I replaced the springs on my mod 90 with heavy duty springs and the shift got SUPER hard to pull. Is this normal with the springs or is there an adjustment or way to make it easier for my young one.

Thanks

miniquaddad90
05-22-2012, 08:34 AM
RIDE IT. Thats the only way the HD springs "loosen" up. They are hard at first but seem to lighten up after a few good rides. Make sure you have the clutch adjusted correctly also

liverebel
05-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Well I torqued everything to spec per the manual. And the little shift adjuster screw, well not real sure how that affects it, but it put it back to the exact number of turns it was at before disassembly

miniquaddad90
05-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by liverebel
Well I torqued everything to spec per the manual. And the little shift adjuster screw, well not real sure how that affects it, but it put it back to the exact number of turns it was at before disassembly

I would double check the clutch adjust screw then ride it till the lossen up. loosen the lock nut, then turn the screw clockwise (if i remember right, check the manual) till it makes contact, then back it off 1/8 turn.

liverebel
05-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Great ill try that after work today thanks.

jweidner
05-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Hey,

Not sure spring pressure from stock to your after market ones, but CR 85 springs bolt right in and are stonger than TRX oem.

Thanks,

miniquaddad90
05-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by jweidner
Hey,

Not sure spring pressure from stock to your after market ones, but CR 85 springs bolt right in and are stonger than TRX oem.

Thanks,

CR85 and the HD springs feel about the same to me. Tried them both, and both work well

liverebel
05-23-2012, 11:17 AM
see i originally thought that the springs would just need to "set in", but we have put 4+ hours on it and to be honest it is hard for even me to pull up on. I literally almost have to stand in the pegs to get the pressure necessary to pull it.

miniquaddad90
05-23-2012, 11:31 AM
see i originally thought that the springs would just need to "set in", but we have put 4+ hours on it and to be honest it is hard for even me to pull up on. I literally almost have to stand in the pegs to get the pressure necessary to pull it.

Green box Versrah brand? If so, they will "settle" but if the clutch adjustment is out, it could make it harder to shift. We had EBC's in one of ours, they seemed a little lighter than the Versrah ones. Also, did you make sure the clutch "pusher" is lined up correctly on the inside of the clutch cover? That might be something to double check also if clutch adjustment doesnt help.

liverebel
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I feel that I did everything as close to what the service manual says as I could. But lining it up I am unsure of as its been a month now since I did it although I may take it apart soon as I got my special tool so I can change the clutch plates for some that are better than the stock junk.

miniquaddad90
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I feel that I did everything as close to what the service manual says as I could. But lining it up I am unsure of as its been a month now since I did it although I may take it apart soon as I got my special tool so I can change the clutch plates for some that are better than the stock junk.

To be 100% honest, the stock fibers are GREAT. We've put 12-15hp to them with zero failures... Replace if worn, otherwise HD spings is all u need to harness all that you can get out of the TRX...

Im willing to bet, a clutch adjustment and a little more ride time and you'll be fine. Our 1st build felt the same way, my daughter was young at the time, she was basically kicking the shift lever to down shift, but after 2 races, said it was like we didnt change anything clutch wise

liverebel
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
You know I hate to admit it, but the stock plates have held up great, but man, when you look at them compared to the EBC's I got, there is like 80% more friction area. They just look so cheap and cheesy.

liverebel
05-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by miniquaddad90
I would double check the clutch adjust screw then ride it till the lossen up. loosen the lock nut, then turn the screw clockwise (if i remember right, check the manual) till it makes contact, then back it off 1/8 turn.

Ya it was the adjuster screw...100% difference now.
Thanks for all the help guys

miniquaddad90
05-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Ya it was the adjuster screw...100% difference now.
Thanks for all the help guys

Anytime!!! Glad it worked out for you, simple is good!

liverebel
06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
So I noticed the clutch adjustment has made it"easier" to shift but it had added a crap ton of slop to shifting. The shifter feels likes it has to move twice as far to click a gear and that shifts feel soft and it doesn't like to shift unless moving. Did I put something back together wrong?