PDA

View Full Version : Marc (CJM)'s first coal hill

OldGuyonaQuad
05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DaE5Q41eaY&feature=youtu.be

Stickman400
05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
WOW, did he loose his speed at the very top? That was a nasty looking crash. I'm amazed that the stem and tire being knocked off the bead was the only thing that happened. Good to know he wasn't hurt.

honda400ex2003
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
man.. glad he wasnt hurt! quite the tumble there!

steve

CJM
05-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Ya it wasnt too fun. I lost traction about 3/4 of the way up and slammed it into 2nd but just was too little too late.

I missed the edge of the top by 3ft and as you can see tried to roll it down till it turned sideways and we went for a tumble.

As it tumbled over me I managed to get away with just some bruises and scrapes. But I saw stars afterwards so Im guessing I have a mild concussion. Trust me it was not fun. That coal is VERY loose and the reason why it slid down the hill that fast.

Appears the steering stem is bent (we kinda fixed it), the left front tire lost its bead (fixed), broke the headlight plastic surround, start button wont tighten anymore, grab bar is toast (probably what saved the back plastics and alot of other stuff its a huge prm one) and possible frame damage near the gas tank. Im pretty optimistic I can have it all repaired by tomorrow.

Flipper strikes again.

honda400ex2003
05-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Braap! no hospital visit < than my story. haha

steve

Mr49!!
05-20-2012, 09:26 PM
well it could have been worse :chinese:

CJM
05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Yea no hospital lol. Im glad I wasnt the one driving home, cause man I def got a mild concussion-I feel like jello right now.

The quad actually tumbled over me, I flew off and hit my head on the ground when it turned sideways on me and I fell off.

Amazing after seeing how far the quad fell and how violently that it appears pretty much ok somehow.

Im also reminded again today why I hate kenda klaw tires. Damn things lack traction, I probably coulda made it if I had some razrs. ugh Im gonna dump thiose kenda pos sooner than later now.

Stickman400
05-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Idk how coal responds since I have never rode in it. But I have climbed huge piles of 1/4" road gravel and pea gravel piles at a nearby sand quarry and my Razr 2s pull wheelies all the way up them. They get more than enough traction. Then again you don't want to flip over trying to fight a wheelie all the way up.

slightlybent47
05-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Glad you walked away with few injuries. Rolling backwards down a big hill like that sets off the suckometer just a bit.lol Quads suck when you can't lay it down and have no choice but to roll back if ya don’t make it. Then they tend to barrel roll and tear stuff up.
At least you have it on film so you can relive it over and over and over and over.lol

OldGuyonaQuad
05-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Marc you should probably go and get checked out if you still don't feel 100%.

Crash aside it was a good time, glad you and Tim and Julio made it. I'm a little sore today but nothing like you I'm sure. Hope you are feeling better today.

I was sure you broke your leg when you didn't get up right away.

CJM
05-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Im feeling better today, sore but better.

Coal is like trying to climb loose sand, it doesnt work out to well sometimes.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
That's good to hear, I would have partially blammed myself if anything had happened since I've been bugging you to get up there and then I missed the turn that lead to "the hill". ;)

There is so much more to see up there, I thought Julio knew his way around so I let (didn't matter he was passsing me regardless ;) )him lead at the end. Hopefully we can do it again before it gets too hot to ride.

I will post you some links for the other videos or you can just subsribe to my brothers youtube account. Here is a pic of us starting out at Smurfs Pond. I keep forgetting that my gopro defaults to camera mode(I know I can change it) and every once in a while I take two pictures instead of starting and stopping my recording. :scary:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh518/Tom_Harrie/GOPR0408.jpg

CJM
05-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Julios been there before but its been a LONG time if I recall. Biggest problem we had was despite the past rains the dust literally obliterated any thing we could see.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-21-2012, 08:29 AM
The dust made it impossible for anyone following, there was a couple of times when I literally saw oncoming riders at the last second, let alone ruts, rocks and bumps.

Did you ever get any bananas for that gorilla? :D

CJM
05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
The dust made it impossible for anyone following, there was a couple of times when I literally saw oncoming riders at the last second, let alone ruts, rocks and bumps.

Did you ever get any bananas for that gorilla? :D

I looked for a turkey hill in the gps and found one in some backwoods town on top of the mtn. Im not sure wtf happened but we literally were going down sidestreets with cars on both sides and it was a two way road-with no room. We gassed up, cleaned up and headed to cabelas.

Cabelas was fun but overpriced, didnt buy a thing but my julio took pics of all of the stuffed animals, then we ate at cracker barrel and hit the road. Didnt get back till 10pm.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
rofl
one turn, go left, 17 miles on your right.

O will you made it home safely.

I hope Tim and Julio had a good time.

CJM
05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Yea, couldnt remember the 2nd part. No big deal tho, we had fun.

Thumpin440ex
05-21-2012, 04:05 PM
There is some loose *** stuff up Trev. I do not pref the coal. I like sticking to my trails. LOL.. Glad your were not hurt, the bike fared well.

John

CJM
05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Yea Im with ya John, its way too loose for my stupid tires (surprisingly the sand isnt, think cause its better packed).

I got some misc stuff fixed, plastics, stems about 90%, etc. Working on the grab bar (might as well be a pretzel right now) and the start switch which refuses to stay tight so Im adding another screw too it.

Im just glad Im mostly ok, of all things my neck is very sore-I think I got whiplash from the way I fell or something, otherwise I feel like a 90 yr old man and move like one too lol.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Oh and always a day late, I finally found out where the whale back is, all this time I've been trying to get to what turns out was the mile.

I got the log and lat from some Eco site.

CJM
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Oh and always a day late, I finally found out where the whale back is, all this time I've been trying to get to what turns out was the mile.

I got the log and lat from some Eco site.

Eh its ok, we still had fun either way.

Pressure washing all the mud off while it was raining today did suck tho.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
This is a nice loop that I wanted to take you guys on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ie9l9qRzQ&feature=g-all-u

CJM
05-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Always next time now that we know.

Quads back together and fixed, grab bar is toast tho. Might try to fix it but I had enough fixing for the last 2 days.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-22-2012, 08:10 PM
that's good, how are you feeling?

how many fingers am I holding up? ;)

CJM
05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
that's good, how are you feeling?

how many fingers am I holding up? ;)

Slightly better, my ribs hurt, my left shoulder and my head still feels a bit scrambled but Im ok lol.. :D

quad2xtreme
05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I keep forgetting that my gopro defaults to camera mode(I know I can change it) and every once in a while I take two pictures instead of starting and stopping my recording. :scary:

There is a setting so that when you turn it on, it is in record mode. It is either on and recording or off.

If you can't find the setting, go to gopro website and download software update.

/Jon

jcv400ex
05-28-2012, 09:43 PM
I did the same thing on my one and only visit there. My quad flipped up and surfed down the hill on the front fenders. I hate that place!

CJM
05-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
I did the same thing on my one and only visit there. My quad flipped up and surfed down the hill on the front fenders. I hate that place!

Its an ok place, but I dont understand how and why the hills are carved like that. It makes it very difficult to see whats on top let alone ride them things up. Plus with the dirt being loose coal shale its like riding on gravel.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
It would have been much better if I had known exactly where I was going. I'm heading back up Sunday, I know you're not ready just yet but you guys are more then welcome as always.

CJM
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
You enjoy your trip. I still recovering lol..