PDA

View Full Version : my quad has stage fright....

exracer416
05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
so i spen all week tuning my quad,get it about right,ride some of the day saturday with no problems.(ran through a creek a little raced through some feilds) just to make sure it was ready to race. i tried to race today and as soon as the green flag dropped it starts to cut out. hit a little mud and now it wont run past 1/4 throttle, tried taking the airbox lid off, and i checked the jets, clean as can be......im thinkin it might be electrical, but im not seeing a break in the ground anywhere...any suggestions?? im ready to set it on fire...its ported and polished cammed 11:1 piston full big gun exhaust. and stock carb with the choke removed. like i said it ran fine saturday.....

Stickman400
05-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Did you check the airbox boot on the back of the carb? Mine did that same thing one day after I hit my table and landed hard. It pulled the boot off the carb. and was making it super lean from all the air.

JOHNDOE83
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
They always run fine until race day:blah:

Its just something that happens, mine will run great then suddenly on race day, it runs to lean, the carb gets clogged, your air filter keeps falling off, your lug nuts get loose, your low on oil, your tire pressure drops...etc.

The list goes on and on, My best advice is to bring extra tools and supplys for every possible situation. Make sure you show up WAY to early for the race, so you can test and tune for a few hours before hand.

Once I had the same thing happen to me during a MX race, it happend right after I hit a big double. After taking the carb apart, I had found a huge dirt chunk stuck in the needle and ceet.

Not saying thats your problem, but it may be close to it?

exracer416
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
well further investigation showed that the 2 little screws that hold the lift mechanism to the slide worked themselves out... its always the littlest stupid things.....looks like its timefor some locktite!

MtnEX
05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Was just going to say that cause the same thing happened to me once.

I love the EX though cause it is always something simple like that.

Honda4life05
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I've had the little C clip on the needle break off during a race, i was pissed that something that little could ruin my whole race. Another time I had my main jet fall out an it had the same symptoms, but that one was my fault