PDA

View Full Version : Hot rod stroker crank question

dads400ex
05-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Just starting to look into this for my sons quad. Everyone states to use oem bearings with the crank, is that the new updated bearings with the collar and new seal? If so that is saying that the collar will fit the HR crank just as on the oem crank? How is the reliability been with th eHR cranks as of now.

njquadracer11
05-21-2012, 05:50 AM
if your looking for reliability, dont get a hot rod crank...i went through 2 in one season and will never buy one again

d3ktrix
05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Yes u can use the new OEM bearings and collar on the HR crank.
Its what I am running.

If u are going with a HR crank, have it balanced/welded.
If not, they don't seem to be very reliable. But great once u do.
Crankworks in AZ did mine.

Though the work will cost about as much as the crank is self, so if you don't want to blow $600 on a crank, stick with OEM. lol

D Bergstrom
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Installed a +3 HR crank in my 2005 450R back in 2007, still running strong to this day. I just used the standard bearings and seals with my HR crank, no collar or anything. When I installed the crank, I just took it out of the box and installed it, no balancing or anything. Have replaced crank bearings once or twice over the years just because and a few pistons/cylinders to keep them fresh, but that is it. The quad has a bunch of hours on it, it is the most ridden quad in my garage. Even gets raced from time to time. The thing runs like a top, takes all I can give it and just keeps going.

That being said, if I was going to go with a standard stroke crank, I would just go OEM. May be a little more expensive, but I just feel better about a Honda part. Untill Honda makes a stroker crank though, I will continue to run the Hot Rod crank in my one 450R.

Doug

dads400ex
05-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the replies, just wish the balancing did not cost as much as the crank, kind of hard to believe.

DnB_racing
05-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by dads400ex
Thanks for the replies, just wish the balancing did not cost as much as the crank, kind of hard to believe. welding and truing a crank will cost about $100 ..I just had one done by LED

this price was along with a complete motor build so it might be a little different for just the crank, but it cant be much more

but I know of many machines running hot rod cranks right out of the box with no issues,

as long as its installed, correctly and use presses and not hammerers , use good bearings but, again Ive seen plenty of pivot works bearings last, for years....

if your son is an average rider then i would say put the money into suspension...

if hes pro class then you rebuild at least once a season anyways..

so either way its not the end of the world to use one right out of the box....if you get a bad one you will know it right away,from vibrations thru the foot pegs...

as far as welding if your running a highly modified motor then yes welding is needed, but for a cam and a pipe and a port its fine without welding

d3ktrix
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Also seems to depends on the piston you go with. The HR crank is ment for the heavier stock piston or a wiseco. From what i have heard anyway, people that go with something like that seem to have better luck and dont dont complain of vibration.
When you go with the lighter, short skirt race pistons is when u need to balance it.
From what i have observed anyway, and a few engine builders have told me similar things.

dads400ex
05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
DnB_racing, yes he is a proam, "A" class rider, everybody else in his class has gone to big bores or 505 KTM's and he has to run the crap out of his quad to beat them and the motors are not lasting and need to find some help, that is why we are looking into the stroker maybe he wont have to have it wound out all the time.
d3ktrix that is interesting to know about the pistons, thanks

hrc450er
05-23-2012, 04:56 AM
If your crank is fine thats in there now why not go with a big bore, its easier to install

dads400ex
05-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by hrc450er
If your crank is fine thats in there now why not go with a big bore, its easier to install

Thats just it I am not sure that the crank is ok. He was riding it, it shut down on him and when he started it back up it was making a horrible grinding sound, pulled the top end off and the piston and cylinder are done (cylinder is scored and skirt is scored), inner clutch fiber was broken (which may have been the grinding sound, by the way have been having problems with that inner fiber also) so not completely sure the crank is ok looks and feels ok but? The real kicker is the motor is rebuilt and only has 25-30 hrs. on it. So I don't what to do, need these motors to last longer. I do all the work myself so I watch everything I do very closely.