PDA

View Full Version : My 2006 450 ER won't Electric Start

Vincentreign
05-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Hello, I'm new here. I recently bought a 2006 Honda 450 ER; it runs great, the only problem is that it wont electric start. We can pop start it by pushing very easily and it runs great. I am assuming that that means the electrical is OK or else it wouldn't run period. The starter does turn over the engine when I try to electric start it. Can someone please help me diagnose the problem???

Scro
05-20-2012, 10:07 AM
When was the last time you checked the valves? That's the first thing I would check.

Vincentreign
05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I haven't checked the valves, ill be sure to do that right away. I was gonna borrow a compression tester from a friend tomorrow, i was thinking of checking that before going in the motor.

quadracer25
05-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Stator

DnB_racing
05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Vincentreign
Hello, I'm new here. I recently bought a 2006 Honda 450 ER; it runs great, the only problem is that it wont electric start. We can pop start it by pushing very easily and it runs great. I am assuming that that means the electrical is OK or else it wouldn't run period. The starter does turn over the engine when I try to electric start it. Can someone please help me diagnose the problem??? along with valve clearance...

also make sure the battery and starter clutch are actually turning the motor over fast enough to produce sufficient spark, I forget the actual rpms required but it needs to be relatively high

a week battery or a slipping starter clutch will also give those symptoms as you described