PDA

View Full Version : Tranny issues need some help

bholzgen
05-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I installed the tranny and shift drum a couple weeks ago, and the engine was in neutral with no issues. I assembled the rest of the motor and installed the rest into the frame. After I had everything together ready to brake in the new crank and piston, I noticed the something was not right. The shifting is very rough, I can get it to change gears and get it in to neutral, but it is not right... It will not shift consistantly, sometimes you push the shift lever down it will shift, and other times the lever will just go down and stay in the same gear. When you shift up, it may change gears, but the lever will just stay up... At first I thought it was because the tranny is not lubercated enough (Has been dry for some time) but that appears to not be the issue.

I am very lost, and I checked the tranny over using the manual before I put the crank in...
I need some help, and I want to be able to ride on Memorial Day!
Would like to know if I can fix this without splitting cases.

Thanks, Blake

latheboy
05-20-2012, 10:22 AM
If you shift lever stays up at times, pull off the right side cover and see if the shift shaft and spring is in correctly. Also be sure the stem that the shift shaft spring locates against is tight.

bholzgen
05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
The shifter star is not lining up with the stopper arm. The stopper arm isnt going into the grove on the star... I am not sure why is is not lining up..

latheboy
05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
are you sure that the small dowel pin is in correctly on the part that bolts the end of the shift drum?

**edit**

Make sure #24 is in place, in the notch of #7.

Make sure #16 is in place correctly, and #15 is in place correctly. (not flipped over)

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=161859&category=ATVs&make=HONDA&year=1987&fveh=3745

bholzgen
05-21-2012, 05:54 AM
They are lined up, but ill have to pull it off and try again. If that doesnt work, the drum must be out of place in the tranny forks?

bholzgen
05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Also, the #8 bolt in the diagram will not tighten all the way. When I tighten it, it just keeps spinning and never actually goes tight...
What does this mean?

SilverLake250R
05-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Are you sure you are actually tightening it? Use a deep well socket because a regular one will not let you grab the nut good enough if I remember right.

bholzgen
05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah I was using a deep socket. The bolt just kept spinning never went tight.

DnB_racing
05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
if its not getting tight maybe the 24 pin isnt in place?

beerock
05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
sounds like the shift drum threads are stripped

bholzgen
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Shes fixed. After a few hours of messing around with it. Took the shift star off a few times, and moved the drum with my hand using the star. It may have been stuck in between gears or something when I installed the star, so the shifter arm was not right or something... But shes fixed, and goes through all the gears fine.

spintly
06-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Glad to hear you figured it out. The weather is too nice to have a R that is broke down. Did you ever get the bolt to tighten on the shift drum?