PDA

View Full Version : New guy questions

Otis.Leo
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey Y'all

As you can see to your left I am pretty new to the site but not to riding stuff with motors and wheels. however I have never modded anything in my life. I tend to get something and ride it hard till I'm ready for something new. A couple months ago I bought an 04' 400 from a guy on Craigslist. He got it as a trade for a trailer he was selling. He decided to get rid of it cause it was a little to fast and powerfull for his kids :rolleyes: anyway I rode it, my brother rode it, and i bought it for $1900. Just from looking at it, we both knew there was some extras on it and the guy i got it from had no clue what was on it. Shocks, start timer, pipe, yadda yadda, just from what i saw but i think there is more on there. if i took some pictures of it this weekend while i have it apart would you guys let me know what you think is on it? what would it take to see if she is a 416 or 440? I just want a cool sig like the rest of you guys :D

Also, none of my pics upload.. all too big i have it down to 482 x 271..
what am i doing wrong?

Have a good weekend!!

Otis

CJM
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Only way to tell for sure whats been done to the engine is to take it apart and measure the bore and check for a cam and such.

To upload pics you need to use a hosting service such as www.tinypic.com.

Otis.Leo
05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Only way to tell for sure whats been done to the engine is to take it apart and measure the bore and check for a cam and such.

To upload pics you need to use a hosting service such as www.tinypic.com.

Sounds good. Thank ya sir.. btw. what kind of oil do you use? i just putt around the yard on weekends and ride the trails a couple times a month.. do i really need expensive honda oil??

CJM
05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
That expensive honda oil is nothing more than rebranded whatever they use thats probably much cheaper.

I like to use shell rotella T 15w-40. Has worked well for many of us and 1 gallon is 13 bucks at walmart.

dxcody
05-18-2012, 12:21 PM
You can run basically any oil you want.

Rotella, just like Marc said, is about the best and also its about the cheapest.

Its good stuff.

slightlybent47
05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Don’t use synthetic oil, stick with conventional oil. Synthetic oil can make the clutch slip.

TheAwesomehonda
05-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Don’t use synthetic oil, stick with conventional oil. Synthetic oil can make the clutch slip. So who told you that man? It doesn't sound correct b/c honda makes synthetic and synthetic blend motorcycle oil that is make for wet clutchs.... I use it in one of my quads and i've got np with the clutch..

Stickman400
05-18-2012, 10:44 PM
The synthetic oil that Honda makes is for their machines that have a separated tranny and clutch. Like the 450R.

TheAwesomehonda
05-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
The synthetic oil that Honda makes is for their machines that have a separated tranny and clutch. Like the 450R. Um actually no it can be used in a 400ex and other common sump atv's such as my honda foreman.. lol

smorris1
05-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I use klotz MX4 oil. Its full synthetic and is made to be used in bikes with or without a wet clutch. Works perfect for me.

Baileygunns
05-19-2012, 08:05 AM
You can use any conventional or synthetic oils as long as they don't have Molybdenum (commonly refered to as "moly") or any friction reducing additives. Those are what will make a clutch slip.

Stickman400
05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Ah, I was talking about the one with moly in it. I didn't know they made 3 different types of synthetic oil.