PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks- buy aftermarket or revalve/spring 450r's?

BULLET99Z28
05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I have a set of mint 450r shocks, 07 or 08 i believe on my quad. I am running Laeger +2 +1 a-arms. The shocks are a tad bit long, but fit ok. I am only 170 w/o gear, and they are just to stiff. For now, I was going to call Derisi or GT Thunder and just order the appropriate dual rate spring kit, and this fall send them in to have the bodies machined and revalved to match. $400 for the whole shock service doesn't seem bad(225 for spring kit, or 400 for spring/revalve), considering ive had these shocks on the shelf for 2 years during my build. I mainly run XC, and just play on mx for now. I have heard the 450r shocks are pretty good after the service work. Or should I sell them, buy aftermarket, and then still have to pay for service work.

Is anybody on here running re-worked 450r stuff, and if so, how do you like them. Im not running pro anything, just want a good ride.

nj88330r
05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
i had 450r fronts on a lonestar frame i also had laeger +1 a arms on it, i sent the stock 450 shocks to gt thunder they shortened them by 1 inch and set them up for my weight and riding style. nobody does it better than laz at gt. im no pro racer by any means but over the years i have owned just about eevery brand of shocks , pep,ohlins,elka,and others and what gt can do to stock 450r shocks is amazing! in all honesty i called laz last year when i was putting this lonestar together and i asked him ur exact question, should i buy new aftermarket fronts or if i send him stock 450 fronts can he make them work on my 250r? his answer was he can make the stockers better than any aftermarket fronts out there with the exception of custom axis. he said axis was the only shocks out there that would be better than the reworked stockers. and he was right they were perfect!! i sold the lonestar and now im riding a lobo with axis all around but gt thunder reworked them for me and its like a cadillac im 280 without gear and they r just plain plush!!!! if u decide to go aftermarket let me know i have a set of axis fronts that were done by gt about 6 months ago, they were set up for a buddy of mine. xc rider and 180-200 lbs. they are remote resis, comp.and reb. adjustable. i will let them go for $500 shipped . let me know,my cell is 201-83two-6nine5three i will text u pics to ur phone

Motofool250r
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
what did the reworked 450r shocks cost you when i checked into it they were 650$ to rework them through someone else.

i could buy new much better shocks for less so i left hte 450r's alone.

BULLET99Z28
05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Gt thunder is priced at 400 for the complete service- dual spring kit, shock body mods/machining, and revalve. I believe derisi is 450. Like I said, I've had these for a couple years while I was buildng the R, so I'm not out any money.

Motofool250r
05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
well all i can say is i bought new HLS shocks for 295$ but they are not adjustable

for 400$ that seems like a decent deal

i run the 450r shocks stock on +3 and they are a little stiff still