View Full Version : 440 carb setup

e gracie
03-06-2003, 01:31 AM
could some 1 give me an idea where to start,

440cc
gas flowed head
mx cam
fmf power core 4
wanting to run std carb 4 now.struggling setting fcr up (doing me head in the fcr)

was finkin..................
175main
42 pilot
needle 4 th clip down.
pilot screw turned out ? not sure about this bit

am i on the right track?
any help gr8tly appreciated.E,gracie

:confused:

nick23
03-06-2003, 05:12 AM
what size fcr?

e gracie
03-06-2003, 08:40 AM
39 nuffin but hassle

e gracie
03-07-2003, 02:11 AM
come on guys no one with 440 kit running std carb. wanting to spill the beans. i cant beat u in a race. i live to far away,:confused2

Steven
03-07-2003, 07:59 PM
I'll help you.

I'm at sea level so you will have to guage off that.

I run a 180-185 main (modified air box lid) depending on the temperature. Carefull with the 170-175. I stuck a piston with one of those jets (not sure which one)... it was to lean.

I too have the needle on the 4th clip from the top and run a 45 pilot. I think I have have the idle mixture screw turned out 2 1/4 turns... what ever the dynojet book said for my configuration and elevation. I can't really remember.

Will that get you started?

Steve

03-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Your close enough to start "jetting it" :)

Now just everyone tell what jets you guys are talking about, Keihin or Dyno?

03-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Why I say it that way is cause there are so many things that can effect jetting and using two different types of jets just adds more problems to the mix.

I have a dyno kit needle and everything else Keihin.

48p, 4th clip, 178-185mj and the needle is subject to moving around.

Now how about a good deal on that FCR :)

e gracie
03-08-2003, 01:46 AM
thanx for the help guys. guess i am lucky then!!!!!! as i was running 38 pilot an 165 main in the std carb, got a 42 now and a 175 main .not dyno jets though. as for the fcr yes i will sell it ....give up on it now for sure,,,been at it for 2 mths on and off. fing is i live in the uk great britain ...

going to strip it down an check piston and jug to day b4 i put it all back to gether just for a piece off mind. in case ive damaged any thing running to lean no wonder it was poor performance then.
let u know how i get on
many thanx from accross the water,,,

nakomis0
03-08-2003, 10:20 AM
E Grace. You could of possibly recieved a bad carb. My first FCR was wacked, so I had to take it back. (Trust me it was a huge pain to figure out I had a bad carb.)

Another problem is where the carb screws together it comes loose easily which which will make it impossible to jet. So it helps to use some blue lock-tite ot pipe tape, to seal it well.

Sorry to hear you can't get it dialed in right.

What seems to be the problem when you ride it? And whats the plug color?

e gracie
03-09-2003, 12:10 PM
sorry for th edelay been jet sking all weekend...... just will not go full throttle sounds like its over jetted but ive been down as far as 148 an still no change plug looks about right whatever i do going to send it back an get it checked out gota be dodgy......let u know the results........