PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a "Go Cart"

Foxhound013
05-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm using the term go kart here loosely because i'm not quite sure what else to call it, maybe a mini buggy. Anyways my question here is how hard would it be to sell and make a profit off of a home built performance "mini buggy". I had planned using either a 450 motor or cbr 600 F2 motor and use a quad swing arm and a arms with 450r shocks. Essentially it would be a quad, lowered way to the ground with a roll cage and would have the look of a small off road buggy. What do you guys think one of these could go for and how hard would it be to sell. I'd like to build one, play with it for about a month or two, then turn around and sell it for profit. What's your opinions? Any suggestions?

finsteratv
05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Try it and see, If not you have a sweet toy haha..Try to keep it all one brand though, using lots of honda parts or yami parts..you get what I mean. I've thought of doing the same thing but $$ and time is my dilema.

mineralgrey01gt
05-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Id just go get a honda odyssey or honda pilot

beastlywarrior
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Foxhound013
I'm using the term go kart here loosely because i'm not quite sure what else to call it, maybe a mini buggy. Anyways my question here is how hard would it be to sell and make a profit off of a home built performance "mini buggy". I had planned using either a 450 motor or cbr 600 F2 motor and use a quad swing arm and a arms with 450r shocks. Essentially it would be a quad, lowered way to the ground with a roll cage and would have the look of a small off road buggy. What do you guys think one of these could go for and how hard would it be to sell. I'd like to build one, play with it for about a month or two, then turn around and sell it for profit. What's your opinions? Any suggestions?
its gonna cost you a lot of money, little things are gonna nickel and dime you and a lot of stupid things will break at first. trust me im on the sae baja team and have been a part of building 3

Foxhound013
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
lol if it weren't for college coming up in a another year or so I wouldn't be worried about dropping the cash and not getting it back out. But i'll have to eat during college, darn food, the things I could do if I wouldn't have to buy food lol. I was wondering how nickel and dimed this project would get. If we do it I planned on sticking to mainly honda parts just because of how easy it is to get parts. Not that other brands are necessarily any harder to find but i've got more experience hunting down honda parts.

wilkin250r
05-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Your buggy will have a completely different weight distribution than a 450r, or any other quad for that matter. While you can certainly make the a-arms fit, and proper mounts for the correct geometry, the shocks probably won't perform correctly.

250x_kyle
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Your buggy will have a completely different weight distribution than a 450r, or any other quad for that matter. While you can certainly make the a-arms fit, and proper mounts for the correct geometry, the shocks probably won't perform correctly.

hit the nail on the head. i have a buggy or trailing arm rhino build planned in the future but have to guy a garage first. you will be nickled and dimed to death on a build like that. hows your fab skills? do you have acess to tubeing benders, welders, lathes ect. ? as far as using a quad swingarm you would have to either mount the motor infront of you like the mini sprint cars with rocket motors do or build some sort of crazy tentioner system because mounting it over the swingarm would not work unless the motor was attached to the swingarm.

Foxhound013
05-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I was wondering that about the 450 shocks. I thought they may work but figured probably not. I've got access to a welder and may be able to get access to a tube bender. A lathe would be a no go but extremely useful. Sounds like this may just have to remain a dream until I finish college and get a job as a radiologist lol