PDA

View Full Version : Too much oil? Bad day..

quadmanw
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
So after having a bad day, I decided to change the oil for the first time since my rebuild for the Thunder On The Hill rally this weekend. Everything went fine until I went to take my oil filter out and the two bolts holding the cover one (that are already tapped) started to get real soft. One holds and one is just messed up so I tightened it has hard as a could and put lock tight on them. So after that BS I go to put the oil in it. I have a oversized tank so I usually put 3 quarts in and not paying It just started pouring all over the place all over my new concrete lol. So does this much oil mean I'm screwed? The quad kinda seems like it doesn't wanna run right. I DNO. I put it away lol. Can anyone tell me if I'll be alright?
Thanks, Steve

TheAwesomehonda
05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
So i don't really understand, did you over fill it with oil and then try to run it??

quadmanw
05-15-2012, 08:03 PM
yup. didn't ride it. Just let it idle a little

TheAwesomehonda
05-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Well check the level in the tank and drain the oil out until it is correct.

dxcody
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Yea just drain a little at a time until you get it where you want it.

If you run it with that much oil, nothing bad will happen that i am aware of, but it will overflow into your airbox.

Thats what that line that runs from your case with the little plastic piece to your airbox tube is.

It will flood your airbox, get all over your airfilter, soak your swingarm, and get some on your chain as well if you run it with too much oil.

CJM
05-15-2012, 09:35 PM
If the oil comes out your good, however the engine can only compress so much. I had a riding lawnmower an idiot (my dad) overfilled so much it threw a rod.

on the rocks
05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
i have herd before that to much oil is just as bad as not enough, one of thoes wise tales but it does have some meaning to it. if it holds 3 quarts and thats what you put in and it over flowed then you didnt drain it all out. just to be clear drain the tank and the motor. drain plug on the bottom of the tank (14mm i think?) dran plug on the motor is beside the shifter side foot ped (12mm) i also like to unscrew the dip stick just to make sure there is no vacuum holding any oil, crank case breather should prevent this.

quadmanw
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks boys, I did all that. I know how to change it lol. But yesterday I must've pored it in way to fast. It's never done that before and it was late and dark and I was trying to finish lol. Thanks for all the responses. I let it sit over night and idle for awhile it is perfect on the dipstick. And as for it overflowing into my airbox.. I have a crankcase breather instead of that little hose... And I didnt see any oil on my crankcase filter so I dno lol

CJM
05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
I pour in 2-2.5 qts, run for 10 mins then fill the rest an check.

That way it circulates in the engine.

quadmanw
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah I usually just pour it in much slower lol. do you think it would be difficult to helicoil the oil filter cover bolts? That are is pretty think metal.. I already have them tapped.. lol

CJM
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
Yeah I usually just pour it in much slower lol. do you think it would be difficult to helicoil the oil filter cover bolts? That are is pretty think metal.. I already have them tapped.. lol

Possible it will work.

Id honestly go find me some 1/4 bolts since the 6mm bolts are just under 1/4 inch and tap it for them. Could always do 7mm too.

Ruby Soho
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
to much is a bad thing.

the crank mixes it all up and it wont circulate through the engine and boom.