PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem?

CowboyJ
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
My 400 has been giving me trouble in 3rd gear, only 3rd gear. It wasn't bad at first but then it progressed, if I tried to run in 3rd all I would hear was metal on metal grinding very loud and it got to the point where it would just lock up completely until I shifted into another gear. So I split my cases to take a look at it, I was expecting to see a shattered gear but I seen nothing wrong with it, just a little scarring on the bottom gear of the countershaft. Idk what was going on, anyone have this happen before? Anything else I should look for? Im stumped, im about to put it back together and see what happens lol...

Zeb400EX
05-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Look at the gears where they interlock. My 2nd gear did this and I split the case I didn't see anything really til I noticed all the gears and the shaft the sprocket goes on were wore really bad where they interlock. My would kick out of 2nd and grind went ever you would put any power to it. I can post a pic of what I'm talking about if you want.

CowboyJ
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
If you could post a pic that would be awesome! And yea all the gears look good but the one gear its pretty tore up where they interlock, thats the only one that looks pretty messed up. Ill order a new gear and put it in and see what happens!