PDA

View Full Version : anti-freeze resevior

Keystone_Rider
05-13-2012, 09:49 PM
I just got a 05 450r and trying to make it light as possible since the frame was already heavily gusseted, i mean very heavy. I have no problem with that since i don't want to have frame cracking, breaking on me in the middle of a season. I race XC by the way.
I was wondering if the anti-freeze resevior is really necessary to have? If not, i would be happy to remove it and lighten up the bike a little bit.

desratt
05-15-2012, 09:00 PM
We don't run em.

hilltop_83
05-18-2012, 02:32 PM
i took mine off, and then ran a hose along the frame and cut it right at the header so if it does over heat it will smoke like a frieght train and then you just have to take a couple min break. works pretty good for me so far

eastside 400
05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
the reservoir does not serve any use to keep the bike from overheating. It will run the same temp with or without it as long as your coolant level is full. The advantage to having it is that when it gets hots and puts coolant into the bottle, that coolant will be sucked back into the radiator when the bike cools down. As long as you keep an eye on your coolant level in the radiator, you can run without it

audioworks04
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Some organizations require them to race or ride in their series, so you might look into that before you delete it.

DnB_racing
05-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
the reservoir does not serve any use to keep the bike from overheating. It will run the same temp with or without it as long as your coolant level is full. The advantage to having it is that when it gets hots and puts coolant into the bottle, that coolant will be sucked back into the radiator when the bike cools down. As long as you keep an eye on your coolant level in the radiator, you can run without it it does in a way affect the temp of overheating..

pressure changes the temp of boiling, allowing ANY air to enter the system greatly changes the temp of were the coolant will boil,

once the cap lifts and releases coolant, upon any cooling it tries to pull coolant back into the system
when the overflow hose is submerged in the overflow res,it adds additional pressure on the system,

similar to blowing bubbles into milk with a straw , it takes more pressure to blow into the liquid then not having any liquid

the motor will over heat slightly faster without the res, the way to avoid this is by adding a higher pressure cap

any time I set one up without a reservoir, i go up 1 or 2 psi on the cap lift

Keystone_Rider
05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
interesting.... thanks to all for the advice and help. DnB, where can i get a higher presser rad cap? who sells them?

DnB_racing
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
I use my local parts shop as much as possible,Ive been a loyal customer for years, they will price match any online sale that I find, but call just about any parts suplier

get a 20 psi and you should be fine