PDA

View Full Version : seized up!

400eXz
05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
well i was riding today, i was good on coolant, oil and all that stuff. I was waiting for my friend to go through a mud hole, and my bike idled down, and i heard a pop. now the kicker is frozen and i guess its blown up. since the kicker is seized does that mean that the motor is ****, or could it just be the top end?

DnB_racing
05-13-2012, 07:26 AM
on a well broken in 4 stroke, usually there are signs something is going bad, noise, metal in oil, smoke, performance, without all the history, we would simply be guessing

only you know what symptoms you ignored,

but to find out what really happened you have to start taking it apart,

there is no way for us to tell how deep the damage is, or how much maintenance was done to keep the quad in peak condition,

but my guess is you ran the quad and performed maintenance only as needed,the reason I say this is, a motor about to sieze usually will be apparent when doing routine maintenance,

start at the top end then pull your clutch side cover to make sure nothing is jammed and work your way down

400eXz
05-13-2012, 10:03 AM
i changed the oil last weekend before i raced, I told my friend and he is like a expert in 450rs and he said that the crank bearings might have exploded, but i had the head off, and i dont know how, but my dad got the kicker to go down twice then it wouldnt move after the cam rolled to a certain spot.

DnB_racing
05-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 400eXz
i changed the oil last weekend before i raced, I told my friend and he is like a expert in 450rs and he said that the crank bearings might have exploded, but i had the head off, and i dont know how, but my dad got the kicker to go down twice then it wouldnt move after the cam rolled to a certain spot.

when was the last time you checked your valve clearance?it could also be a bent valve,your going to have to tear it apart to find out whats the problem

when you changed the oil did you cut open the filter to check for metal particles?

the bearings almost always leave some evidence before failure

400eXz
05-13-2012, 02:47 PM
nope i never did check, we are going to take the motor to gmr in marrietta ohio some time this week and have them tear into it and fix whatever is wrong and put a hrc cam in it.

400eXz
05-13-2012, 02:49 PM
see about ten minutes before it seized it was really hard to kick. i finally got it started and then it just idled down while i setting there and i heard a pop. i think the piston may have hit the valves? but if thats all that happened the kicker would still be able too move wouldnt it?

DnB_racing
05-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by 400eXz
see about ten minutes before it seized it was really hard to kick. i finally got it started and then it just idled down while i setting there and i heard a pop. i think the piston may have hit the valves? but if thats all that happened the kicker would still be able too move wouldnt it? if it did hit the piston there is a good chance, that the shaft bent, and then it wouldn't allow the crank to move,

but there are actually many possibilities ...just hope for a cheap fix

rageatvlawson8
05-15-2012, 05:57 PM
sounds like crank locked up to me

400eXz
05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
well at least when i take it too someone ill see whats in the motor. bought it used and the guy didnt say anything was put in the motor. he said he has had 3 450rs, so he defiantly didnt buy this one new. it will flat smoke my dads 06 thats all stock.

audioworks04
05-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Have you tried tuning the motor over directly at the crank? My cousins 450 got somehow stuck at tdc one time. Turned it over through the access plug and has been perfect since. On theses new 4pokes you need to check valves at least every 20hrs of ride time and change the oil every 5 hrs. Rebuilds can be expected well under 100 hrs. Let us know what you find.

400eXz
05-15-2012, 08:21 PM
once we loosened the cam bolts we got a compression kick out of it thats it.