PDA

View Full Version : boging down

redhammer082
05-12-2012, 02:30 PM
So I have an '05 400 ex. the last ride on it was about 2 months ago and it ran great. I started it up yesterday and had a hard time keeping it running....mind you never had any issues before this. if i keep the choke half way open it idols fine, shut the choke off it stalls out. Took it for a run and its fine off the start , as soon as I give it half throttle or more she totally bogs down and smoke comes out the exhaust. Parked it in the garage and when reved it a little it was fine. as soon as i gave it more throttle ...same thing it bogs down and blackish colored smoke comes out. So took the carb apart and checked the jets to see if they were clogged. Ran a little piece of wire off the wire brush through the jets and all seemed clear.Drained out the gas and put new gas in. put it back together and same problem occured. Did I miss something? Its never had a valve adjustment, could that b an issue? Regular oil changes are done on it and its lightly used as its my wifes. Thanks guys and help would be greatly appreciated.....John

CJM
05-12-2012, 10:25 PM
The carb is still probably dirty.

What jets are in it now btw?

redhammer082
05-12-2012, 11:20 PM
shes all bone stock. what else would I need to clean out? I sprayed carb cleaner through out it when I took it apart. changed out the plug today.

CJM
05-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Its still dirty, even one spec of sand or dirt can cause issues.

Id take it apart as much as possible and clean it.

As of now it sounds as if its running to rich, but it could also be a dirty carb or bad fuel.

Also unless its super warm out the 38 pilots on these ex carbs take forever to get warmed up properly too.

JOHNDOE83
05-13-2012, 04:09 AM
I dont think its running rich, if you have to have the choke halfway on its deffinetly running to lean. Bogging and flooding are similar and often mistaken for the opposite.

90% of the time when something has sat for a month or two and wont start its because the pilot jet has a lil built up blockage.

you can pull the whole carb apart and clean it 100 times but if the pilot circuit isnt clean it wont run right.

If you cant blow through the pilot jet then its still clogged and needs attention.

redhammer082
05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
I dont think its running rich, if you have to have the choke halfway on its deffinetly running to lean. Bogging and flooding are similar and often mistaken for the opposite.

90% of the time when something has sat for a month or two and wont start its because the pilot jet has a lil built up blockage.

you can pull the whole carb apart and clean it 100 times but if the pilot circuit isnt clean it wont run right.

If you cant blow through the pilot jet then its still clogged and needs attention.

are u refering to the pilot jet.......... as to where the needle is located?. OH saw a picture of which was the pilot jet. and that is cleared out. u can blow through it.

CJM
05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Somethings still dirty then. When things sit they get clogged and gummed up. Like I said, one small spec of dirt could be causing it. Id also make sure you have fresh gas in it.

redhammer082
05-13-2012, 01:05 PM
took it apart again...new gas was in...blew carb cleaner through some of the openings inside of the carb. double checked the jets..all clear. I took apart another part on the carb that had like a diaphram type looking piece that had a small rod on the end and there was some rust built up inside of that . cleaned that up as best I could put it back together and still running crapy. Theres a black plastic cover on the side of the carb, what is that? should that come off . I sprayed cleaner in other ports that looked liked it flushed through it.. Thanks for these suggestions guys. not sure how much more depth I can get into with this carb...might need to spend some cash.....That will suck

CJM
05-13-2012, 02:10 PM
The black cover just covers up the throttle butterfly.

Did you clean out the accelerator pump?

redhammer082
05-13-2012, 07:17 PM
the accelerator pump is the little rubber diaphram that I beleive I took apart that had some rust built up inside . I tried to clean that up as best I could.