PDA

View Full Version : Whats the next big thing in sport quads?

HondaRacing83
05-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I think it's about time for a change in sport quads, you can't have 450's run the show forever. What do you guys think the next big fad is gonna be? 500's? 550's? or some oddball like a 670 lol. I think 500's or 550's would be pretty ideal. or something like ktms 505sx or 525xc

rollie
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
i doubt there will be any major breakthrough's any time soon because of the economy, they need to start making 450's again before they think of something new, i doubt it will be big bore quad, either 250f like quads, or 2 stroke equivalent to the 450's.

Or all the manufacture's will pull out there 450 race quad's and hybrid's will be back in style.

Pacheco_450r
05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I like the 250f idea. I think 450's will remain the production class for a very long time if not forever. But there is a huge gap between the minis and the big boys. Other than the raptor 250 there aren't any good 250's that can be raced. I liked the 250 that Dirtwheels had built a while bike using a dirtbike motor in a yfz frame and full size suspension (can't really remember what it was.) I remember saying they were faster in some areas on the mx track vs a 450 because of how light and nimble it was. I'd really like to see that area of the sport grow, along with upgrading these dated 450s we have now.

Stickman400
05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Gunna have to agree with Pacheco. That seems like the best move right now.

muddy400EX
05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
ive always thought a 250f quad would be so sick. but quads would have to hit a huge popularity gain for company's to come out with a whole new line. especially since some arent even making 450's

yellowzo3
05-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Pacheco_450r
I like the 250f idea. I think 450's will remain the production class for a very long time if not forever. But there is a huge gap between the minis and the big boys. Other than the raptor 250 there aren't any good 250's that can be raced. I liked the 250 that Dirtwheels had built a while bike using a dirtbike motor in a yfz frame and full size suspension (can't really remember what it was.) I remember saying they were faster in some areas on the mx track vs a 450 because of how light and nimble it was. I'd really like to see that area of the sport grow, along with upgrading these dated 450s we have now.

I remember that quad. That was a loooonngg while ago haha... It was pretty nice though.

I don't think anything will change much though. If anything, from the commercials on tv, it seems like they're pushing the 4x4 quad market the most so its hard to say where the sport quad market will go. I could maybe see a couple more big motored quads down the line just as sort of a flagship model... but nothing in the near future.

chucked
05-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I think the epa will make it extremely hard for manufacturers to keep producing these bikes, we will see less and less power and higher and higher price tags

madskrillz2
05-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah every year it's just looking like a smarter idea to go out and buy a bike. As bad as I hate to admit that.

finsteratv
05-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I love my bike just because its soooo much cheaper. If you wreck or ride it hard theres alot less to break and wear out.

CJM
05-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Fuel injection.

I foresee many if not all 450s eventually becoming FI.

Tommy Warren
05-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Fuel injection.

I foresee many if not all 450s eventually becoming FI.

thats a given for sure... but I think the power will increase, and the weight will decrease until they become so fast and dangerous that they will be forced to stop making them....

CJM
05-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
thats a given for sure... but I think the power will increase, and the weight will decrease until they become so fast and dangerous that they will be forced to stop making them....

Sorta sounds like the way of the ATC. Cept they werent all that fast, just dangerous.

I wouldnt say Im a pro level rider but geez trying to ride an ATC is tough if you arent used to it.

madskrillz2
05-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sorta sounds like the way of the ATC. Cept they werent all that fast, just dangerous.

I wouldnt say Im a pro level rider but geez trying to ride an ATC is tough if you arent used to it.

Weren't all that fast?! Have you ever ridden an ATC 250r?

CJM
05-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Weren't all that fast?! Have you ever ridden an ATC 250r?

Yes, is it truly fast-sure. But its not hang on for your dear life you might die fast. Maybe a modded one.

I also feel that a stock 250r quad isnt all that powerfull either. Modded of course its fast.

Course fast is relative to a persons experiences too. Like my buddy thinks his civic SI is fast, but in reality it feels super slow to me vs even a stock mustang gt.

Pacheco_450r
05-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Compared to today's 450's the atc 250r isn't a crazy ride. But with the lack of suspension technology in those days and coming up from say a mild 185s the atc 250r was an arm ripping screamer!

beastlywarrior
05-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Everyone riding a built 250ex like a pitquad

ikas
05-13-2012, 09:15 AM
You mean the apex?
http://apexatv.com/
They have a 250f. That i have heard is ama legal.

wilkin250r
05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I think we'll continue to see the UTV market expand like it has been, and I think they'll get more powerful with better suspension, and we'll see more 4-seater UTV options.

Engine-wise, I see superchargers on UTVs and the utility ATVs, but they won't hit sport quads for quite some time.

As others have pointed out, I see the mid-sized quad market getting faster and faster. Last I heard they had a 250 dirtbikes making 55hp. In a few years, one of the manufacturers will detune one of those a little and put it into a quad frame, and I'm betting Yamaha is at the forefront of the mid-sized quad revolution.

CJM
05-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Im also willing to bet yamaha will be on top of it, they at least make new things. As much as I love Honda they just make the same thing for years till it gets so outdated they gotta make new to compete with the other manufactures.

BlaineKaiser450
05-13-2012, 02:55 PM
With big brother closing in more and more every day, I'd say both mx and quads will be pretty much gone within the next 10 years :/

CJM
05-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
With big brother closing in more and more every day, I'd say both mx and quads will be pretty much gone within the next 10 years :/

I dont think thats the case. Yea the EPA sucks, but even without legal riding areas many will soldier on in the quad/bike world.

blacknblue#2
05-14-2012, 04:49 AM
I miss the days when there was a "NEXT BIG THING IS SPORT QUADS" every year lol

russellsroost31
05-14-2012, 06:58 AM
2 stroke 450 :D

Pacheco_450r
05-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ikas
You mean the apex?
http://apexatv.com/
They have a 250f. That i have heard is ama legal.

Nope it wasn't a production quad, it was a hybrid that they had built using a 250 four stroke dirtbike motor. I'll try to find the article one of these days haha.

Ryan
05-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450

The sport will never die! It wasn't much in the 90's, but a few guys and all the aftermarket companies kept the sport alive for the people who had/have a real passion for ATV racing/riding.

I been out of riding for yr or two just brutally fighting long term Lyme disease. And 2 yrs before that with a back/sciatica injury.. I'm just coming back now, and my passion will always lie with riding Sport ATV's and ATV racing. My DREAM has always been to race a GNCC, and I'm doing everything I can to make that happen at Unadilla this YR!

Sure, going out and getting a bike always looks like the smart way to go. But when most of us guys grew up on ATV's, we don't wanna learn to ride all over again, especially for Competitors.

The economy and tree hugger's may slow down the sport from evolving like the bikes do. But there will always be passionate guys/gals out there to do extra work, spend extra money, to keep this sport alive in one way or another. Even if there is no next big thing, there will always be sport atv's, and ATV racing somewhere :D ....--- Hopefully with RacerTV the support will grow instead of decline.

madskrillz2
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Nope it wasn't a production quad, it was a hybrid that they had built using a 250 four stroke dirtbike motor. I'll try to find the article one of these days haha.

It was actually considered production since they made the bare minimum to pass. That's why they could run the production classes.

Pacheco_450r
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
It was actually considered production since they made the bare minimum to pass. That's why they could run the production classes.

What I meant was there was no brand associated with this bike, there was only one made because it was a project bike for what the "manufacturers could make."

MX MaNiAc 06
05-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Yeah every year it's just looking like a smarter idea to go out and buy a bike. As bad as I hate to admit that.

It hurts to agree with this but it's true. Its getting harder and harder to find mx tracks for quads.

I think they should start making quads 475-500cc. The 505sx is like 476? Feel stupid asking its what I ride. Lol but if you ride a stock 450 and stock 505 back to back the difference in power is night and day. After riding the ktm for a few years 450s just feel slow unless they're modded out. Ever ride a stock 450f bike? Yeah.. Our 450s are slow as hell.

madskrillz2
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
It hurts to agree with this but it's true. Its getting harder and harder to find mx tracks for quads.

I think they should start making quads 475-500cc. The 505sx is like 476? Feel stupid asking its what I ride. Lol but if you ride a stock 450 and stock 505 back to back the difference in power is night and day. After riding the ktm for a few years 450s just feel slow unless they're modded out. Ever ride a stock 450f bike? Yeah.. Our 450s are slow as hell.

Exactly. I actually have a KX450 but I just don't like the way it handles. Once you ride one, it's not hard to understand how they make 100+ footers look like a 10 foot double.

zyoung04
05-16-2012, 02:23 AM
I remember in a dirt wheels they made a 250f quad it was a Ktm 450sx frame with a Ktm 250....could possibly be a different one from the one u guys are talking about but I could see that being something different

MX MaNiAc 06
05-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Exactly. I actually have a KX450 but I just don't like the way it handles. Once you ride one, it's not hard to understand how they make 100+ footers look like a 10 foot double.

Yeah they are ridiculous. If I'm hitting a jump 3rd pegged on my 505 then a 450 bike is just rolling the throttle in 2nd. 100 footers ain't crap for what those bikes have for power and suspension.

motochamp250
05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes, It's ridiculous how de-tuned the quad motors are, as compared to the bike motors....

dxcody
05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by zyoung04
I remember in a dirt wheels they made a 250f quad it was a Ktm 450sx frame with a Ktm 250....could possibly be a different one from the one u guys are talking about but I could see that being something different

I still have that issue.

I think i ripped a bunch of pages out to hang on my wall but, i still have it.

zyoung04
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I still have that issue.

I think i ripped a bunch of pages out to hang on my wall but, i still have it.

I do to....it happens to be stored right beside my thinking pot I bet I've read it about 20 times lol

Pacheco_450r
05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by zyoung04

I found it today after a little searching in my house. If I get a chance I'll scan the article and post it tomorrow.