PDA

View Full Version : 400X versus 700R in reliability/ergonomics

ajw2685
05-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I am tossing around the idea of trading/selling my 400X for a 700R. I have read alot online and talked with some friends of mine. I am getting mixed opinions/reviews on the 700R.

My main concern is long term reliability and ergonomics. It seems the 400EX/400X are rock solid as long as you change the oil once every 10 years or so. They are air cooled and mechanically much simpler than a 700R. I have read where many people are chasing down coolant leaks on the 700R and electrical bugs.

A friend of mine had a 700R before he got a 450R and he said the 700R was like trying to ride a refrigerator. He said it was big and top heavy compared to my 400X. However, specs wise the 700R is barely any bigger and only ways like 15 pounds more.

I don't race and have no desire to. I simply ride trails and putt around our farm.

Based solely on reliability and ergonomics, do I get a 700R or keep my 400X?

HondaRacing83
05-12-2012, 07:59 AM
just sell your 400ex and buy a 250ex youll be much happier.

lollolol

Stickman400
05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Unless you think you are going to need/want the power then just stick with the 400. It will be much less maintenance compared to the 700 and just as reliable, if not way more reliable. My friend has a 700 Rappy and I'll admit that it's a beast on the trails and I wouldn't mind having one, but I also wouldn't like having to keep up the maintenance on it compared to my 400.

ish416
05-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I know several people with 700Rs who have had no issues. There is the possibility of electrical issues since it is FI but I don't believe they are any more maintenance than the EX. As far as I know, they seem to have a pretty good reputation for being reliable. They are much better and totally different than a 660R.

As far as the handling, the 700R is a way better handling quad than an EX is, both showroom stock. Also has about twice the power.

If I were to buy a new quad, it would no doubt be a 700R.

CJM
05-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I tried a 700r, its ok but damn heavy. 400ex is more flick-able and easy to throw around, raptors WAY to heavy for that.

The power is nice tho..

JOHNDOE83
05-13-2012, 03:51 AM
The raprtor is a very heavy quad, the 400ex is also kinda heavy for its size.

But...

My 400ex will beat any raptor that nots heavily modded, from my experience in the drag racing world, unless the raptor is bored and cam'd with some weight reductions, my 400ex will walk it down the drag strip.

Also, there's not a whole lot of people MX racing a raptor, it's just to heavy and not as flick-able like CJM said. One reason that there's more injuries on atv's then there is on dirt bike's is the weight. If you think youve been hurt on your ex from a accident wait till the raptor lands on you.

If you wanna bore and cam and pipe a raptor, be ready to spend alot more then you would if you were gonna do it to a EX.

If I were to buy something like a raptor 700, I would buy something worth getting......like a DS650.

rockbrook
05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
my dad has a 700r
I love the power but just like the other guys said, its nowhere near as "flick-able" as my 400ex, I can sling this lil thing around anywhere i want. the 700r is definitely a nice bike though but i just cant get down with how much heavier it feels compared to my ex but honestly with all that power it has i believe it's just as "flick-able"..

ish416
05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that the 700R weighs so much more than an EX.

Wet weight on the 700R is 422lbs.
Wet weight on a new EX is 408lbs.

Of course a 700R will not feel as "flickable" because it has a longer and wider wheelbase which typically means, it handles better and is more stable.

CJM
05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ish416
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that the 700R weighs so much more than an EX.

Wet weight on the 700R is 422lbs.
Wet weight on a new EX is 408lbs.

Of course a 700R will not feel as "flickable" because it has a longer and wider wheelbase which typically means, it handles better and is more stable.

It feels like it weighs more due to its poor center of gravity. I dont feel they handle better at all. The frame geometry isnt right on it, 400ex is about as close as you can get to a 250r (which handles the best imho).

chronicsmoke
05-15-2012, 06:11 AM
I can still flick a 700 around.. lol

I'm 6'3 205# though.. All about body language.

If I was doing straigt up trails all the time I'd probably get a scraptor too.. They are way more comfortable (for me) to spend all day trailing. My 660 is a turd compared to the rest of the fleet, but its an awesome trail machine and only gets used as such.

WoodTRD
05-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Having both, you really have to ride both and decide. Stock for stock or just piped I'd take the raptor most any day honestly. Ours has been reliable other than fouling the plug if it's started and killed shortly after without warming up. There's no comparison in power between a stock 400 and a stock 700.

With that said, I'd much rather have MY 416 over a stock or basically stock raptor. I love how it handles, feels light, jumps perfect, and will walk the stock raptor pretty badly until it runs out of gear (15/38). If I spent more time and money on the raptor I'm sure I'd be able to get close to as comfortable on it as the 400, but still not quite.

At the dunes or wide open areas are the only place I'd prefer a mildly modded raptor. Mx track and trails 416 hands down for me, just "feels" better.

I'm 6'3, 200lbs if that matters, I can flick both around pretty easily, with the 400 though I feel more like I'm part of the bike. Raptor is more like I'm riding on top of a couch...doable, but feels alot different to me.

Rohr397
05-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Honestly for what you're doing I'd stick to the 400x. The 700xx is great, but it's going to shine in tight woods and out in the desert. The IRS is not meant for sliding around and wide open farms. It's also the reason it feels and handles heavier because there's more body roll.

The 400x is a great quad for reliability and fun. If you're looking for a little bit better handling and power, the 450r is not a bad choice. A lot of people would argue that the reliability is poor but it doesn't take a professional mechanic to keep it running right. Following the maintenance schedule as recommended by the manual and keeping everything cleaned will go a long way for you.

Like I said, 700's are great, but they're made to do a different style of riding.

Stickman400
05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Honestly for what you're doing I'd stick to the 400x. The 700xx is great, but it's going to shine in tight woods and out in the desert. The IRS is not meant for sliding around and wide open farms. It's also the reason it feels and handles heavier because there's more body roll.

The 400x is a great quad for reliability and fun. If you're looking for a little bit better handling and power, the 450r is not a bad choice. A lot of people would argue that the reliability is poor but it doesn't take a professional mechanic to keep it running right. Following the maintenance schedule as recommended by the manual and keeping everything cleaned will go a long way for you.

Like I said, 700's are great, but they're made to do a different style of riding. He's talking about a 700 Raptor Rohr, not a 700XX.;)

Jayskee
05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Did you see the power they are getting out of those modded raptors? I read somewhere one hitting the 90hp mark. Thats a beast! Id like to see that run a Banshee. Although Banshee's feel so much better climbing steep hills. Im not into moto cross racing just hill climbs and fire roads. For me id take the raptor 700 and be done with it. You're already 300cc's ahead of the game. PLus fuel injection so you dont have to worry about jetting it. Just gonna cost a little more to repair when it breaks :ermm: buts its all part of the game. With that being said. I never rode a 700R. And who knows I might get on it and hate it. I just looking at it from the motor point of view. Or.... Put the 700r in the 400ex frame.