PDA

View Full Version : 2011 yfz450r

shoreracing2
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
how do yall think the 2011 yfz 450 is when it comes to motocross.im thinking about buying one. im use to riding a canam. let me know the pros and cons please.

Kovatch
05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
I think the YFZR is great on the MX tracks. I bought mine in 2009 and it has held up pretty well.

Pros:
-Suspension is good for the average racer. The shocks are LT length, which help out on mx, but they are stiff. Some revalve the stockers and go to the track.
-Power Band is broad. You don't feel the hit like a carb. It is smooth and doesn't wear on you. Similar to your Can-am.
-No frame issues. I have not heard of anyone having issues with their frames where I have heard/seen a few Can-Am frames crack from MX. (see subframe note below)
-$1200 to get good power mods: intake, exhaust, FI controller, & YFZ intake cam.
-Nice wide seat. The "T" style seat is very comfy as compared to Honda. It helps keeps your butt off the plastics.
-Multi-position steering stem. You get +1 forward on a stock stem, which I need (6'4").

Cons:
-Castor angle sucks. They is too much castor in stock form so the tires don't dig in, in the corners. Most people wouldn't notice this.
-Needs more care via oil changes. Many people have fried their con rod bearing due to the lack of fresh oil. You just have to change it more often. I change mine after every 2-3 rides. ($15 in oil vs $500 rebuild....)
-You might want knee pads if you are tall. My knees hit the upper frame rail by the plastics and it gets painful without any knee sleeve/padding.
-Weak subframe. I have broken 2 stock subframes. If you get one just change out the Torx head bolts to nice hex heads and put a washer/locknut and keep them tight. This should help it was loosening/breaking.

I really like my YFZR. Out of the box I think it is a great bike for the track: it's wide, good power, good handling characteristics. Once I added some engine mods, I had it dyno tuned and I am very happy with the results.