PDA

View Full Version : Trevorton Sunday 5/20/22

OldGuyonaQuad
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm almost positive I'm going. We have 5 or 6 so far. Welcome to join along Post up and or PM me for contact / parking info. I am hoping to be at the Allentown Rest stop on PA TP between 7:30-8am to meet up with anyone that would preffer to follow me rather then follow my directions. :D

quadracer556
05-11-2012, 08:19 PM
right on that sounds good,looking like a very good possibility on our end.we could pull out of here at 700-730 and be at exit 116 on 81 at 9-930 as an all-around number.things can flex either way depending on whats necessary.let me talk to the crew and ill get in touch shortly.thx man.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Yea it's on. Hopefully CJM can get a friend or two and make the trip, he/you won't be disappointed I promise.

Quadracer from where you are coming the best place for us to meet up with you below (plug that inot google maps) it's 5 minutes out of your way but you can follow us to where we park (if you can make it)

Fairgrounds Road / High Road / Pennsylvania, United States

There is a turkey hill at that intersection,

lonnie1977
05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I'll be down at Busco this up coming weekend, But I would love to make one of these trips with ya. I have been to Treverton once and couldn't find our way around. Camped in the woods below the big coal hills. Had a great time other then we only stayed at the coal hills all weekend.

CJM
05-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Gonna try and make it, so far have the interest of one of my buddies. Hoping to get more.

You guys start too early damn lol..

OldGuyonaQuad
05-13-2012, 09:07 AM
That's not me it's my brother I like to sleep in, if an extra hour helps your chances Marc, I hve no problem bumping it back a little, plus i'm habitually 15 minutes late to everything anyway. ;)

I wanna try and hit all the land marks
whale back
fan House
Overlook (looking down on the valley)
The mile (what's left of it)
Rock seats (little picnic area made from local slate by riders I assume)
Speed boat (yep someone left a boat in the mountains)
We can take a ride over to the coal hills, I'm not going up em but you all can feel free to take a try. They don't have anyone directing traffic up there either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8OeebOgeY&feature=channel&list=UL

CJM
05-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Yea see I wouldnt mind getting there say at like 10am. We got all day really, ride till say 4 or 5 depending on how hot it is and pack up and go home.

punk rock kiel
05-13-2012, 04:23 PM
"finding your way" from shamokin to trevorton is alot harder than you think if you dont know the trails already. plus trails change from mining and blasting.

from trevorton to ashland (trevorton to where you make the left to go to trevorton) changes also.

i might ride in ashland to shendo if my hand is healed up. either way, ill go up with friends just to drink.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Keil that would be great, hey can you tell me if this is the same place you took us or were we on the other side?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALuAUVy1VQ

I recall climbing on boulders not riding on them

Also at the end of the video it looks like he rides past where you showed to park (just past smurf's pond bare right entrance on left) it looked like it was blocked off, do you know if it is blocked off or not?

Text you later in the week let me know if you are riding or not.

Lonnie have a great trip, busco is awesone as long as it's dry. That clay hold water like a zip lock baggie and man is that crap messy to ride in.

Edit* Marc would you rather meet up at the Allentown rest stop or @ Cabellas? assuming you are able to make it.

quadracer556
05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
"finding your way" from shamokin to trevorton is alot harder than you think if you dont know the trails already. plus trails change from mining and blasting.

from trevorton to ashland (trevorton to where you make the left to go to trevorton) changes also.

i might ride in ashland to shendo if my hand is healed up. either way, ill go up with friends just to drink.

kiel,i'm sure,thats y we're hoping to find some folks along the way at the right time we can tag along with.we've met quite a few its usually just a timing thing.if you take 901 from lavelle west there is a left about 2 miles up,right at a giant landscape supply center,take that left,not sure the designation of the road,and we park about 2 or 3 miles down.where the road gets windy.basically right across the paved road from the railroad tracks.

oldguy,we take 81 south to minersville,exit 116 then take i believe 901 west through lavelle and continue on a couple miles.from the guys i talked to 901 is apparently the way there not sure.not worried about going a little out of the way either.let me know.i'll talk to my one guaranteed guy tomorrow but usually he's just waiting for me to give the word and he's down.how do you guys usually go?

OldGuyonaQuad
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Trevorton is closer to you then Minersville by about 45 minutes. We are riding in and around the Trevorton/ Shamokin area, I thought I read one of your posts saying you wanted to start out in shamokin and find a way to one of your connecting paths that takes you to Minersville.

Either way it's great riding all around there hope you can make it.

punk rock kiel
05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
smurfs pond to whaleback is easy, just try to follow the route he took.
always remember to stay between the mtn's in the valley and you will always find your way back if you keep a general idea on if your heading towards shamokin or back towards trevorton. ive tried getting lost but i know my way around pretty well, so its getting harder finding trails i havent been on.

we been up to trevorton a few times already this year and the camp site was wide open. parking at or near st clair is hard cause they patrol there everyday for the anthracite passes.

dont always trust that people are friendly either.

i prolly wont be riding, my hand is still sore and our game plan is some of our buddies ride while we work on a friends truck at our buddys garage down from centrailia.

punk rock kiel
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
hahahaha, after watching that video, youll get hopelessly lost trying to find whaleback without a doubt. he went way out around. if i wanted a smooth trail ride, ill go ride around streets.

dman66
05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
What do you mean by people are'nt always freindly there - just outta curiosity.I've been to St.Clair about 4 times now,and the five- o just drive by you as long as you're not riding the roads.Is RAC patrolling on weekends too ?

CJM
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Really trying to get some other peeps to go, Im in but I always like to bring friends if I can.

Tom, your shifter better not fall off this time lol :blah:

punk rock kiel
05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
RAC patrols the parking lots all the time.

some locals arent always friendly with out of towners cause its us that getting the whole place turned into a park and its their back yard.

id come out but im gimp status and i told my friend id trailer him up so he can ride plus we will be working on one of the tow vehicles for our june 1st trip to kentucky to ride for a week.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Keil thanks as always for the info, I hope the wrist heals up for ya real soon and we will catch you the next time we go.

Marc yea shifter has been gtg since the last time we went out together but I have tools and a tow line ;)

I know my way to and fro I just can't seam to find that one trail that takes you to the boulders we climbed on. Were we on the whale back or acrossed the water from it?

I think I have it figured out either way there's tons of great riding.

CJM
05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
As per the other thread: not sure if cabelas in harrisburg (is it?) would be better than the allentown rest stop.

Ill let ya know.

quadracer556
05-15-2012, 09:39 AM
well this sucks,i just realized the 20th is sunday.i won't be able to make it,PAHS round 3 in evansville is the same day.plus we try not to go down on sundays,makes for a brutal workday on monday.racing is just as bad but i dont make the schedule.an exception would be the following sunday.3 day weekend woohoo!
my buddy took memorial day week off so we'll be going the 26th/27th or the 2nd for sure.maybe both who knows.memorial weekend may be an overnighter for us to maximize our explorative capabilities.if anyone's going to be available then let me know.have fun fellas.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey bro, sorry you won't be making this trip. Hit me up when you get closer and I will walk you through google maps to show you where to park. Most all of the people there are very cool and are happy to show you around as long as you say please and thank you.

Marc I will give you directions to Cabella's when I get home, it's easy to find, if you've never been it's a must visit for all outdoorsmen. If you have any issues finding it on mapquest or what ever I can meet you at the rest stop and you can hit Cabella's on your way home.

Anyone else want it? Hit me up with a pm for contact info, weather report is looking good!!!

CJM
05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
So far have 2 maybes and myself. Gonna try and get a few others.

Ill try cya at the cabelas around 8:30-9am I guess. I understand you want to get a good day of riding in, but earlier than 9 is tough for us lol.

Could we make it 9? Its 2 hours alone for us to get to the cabelas.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Marc, you had said to plan on getting to Trevorton around 10am. So I figure on leaving around 6:30 am, it's three hours from here and that gives me a 1/2 hour to get gas coffee and meet up. That should put me @ Cabela's around 8:45 so 9 should be fine, especially if it helps you get a friend or two to make it. It's a little more then an hour from Cabela's to Trevorton.

CJM
05-15-2012, 09:55 PM
That sounds good Tom.

Its about 2 hours for us to get to the cabelas from here. So we figure were gonna leave by 7 to be there by 9.

Sounds like a plan.

punk rock kiel
05-16-2012, 12:32 PM
its gonna be dusty, keep that in mind.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I was hoping the rain would keeep it to a minimum but that was partly why I wanted to meet up @ Cabela's in case anyone wants to run in and grab a ventillated mask for riding. By the end of the day we will all look like Billy Crystal going to the Academy Awards. :D

Keil when and where you going to Ky? Riding trip or other? you said you needed a good wrist I wasn't sure if you were riding or just spending a lot of time in the hotel alone ;)

CJM
05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Cant be any worse than the dust where i ride in the sand pit.

I could just wear my balaclava but that might be too hot. How much do one of those mask things run Tom?

OldGuyonaQuad
05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
22-25 depending on size I have to get an XL which they say they have in stock, my large keeps coming undone.

CJM
05-16-2012, 09:27 PM
That aint that bad. You seemed to like yours last time we were out so they must work well.

punk rock kiel
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
going to ky for riding. my wrist is prolly good to ride but i only got one good tie rod anyway. other ones touches the shock spring.

one day after the rain stops, the trails are dusty again. i just keep my mouth shut but everyone else wears bandana's.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Yea it worked well Marc, but it did keep coming undone but I must not have that large a melon and neck because the few reviews had the same complaint. I would make you a good deal on a partially used one but you would probably have the same issues and even though it's clean that's still a bit skeevey ;)

thanks again Keil, have a great trip and post up some pics, where are you going in KY?

Also in the video I posted, is that guy starting out at the same place you took us as seen in the pic below?

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh518/Tom_Harrie/photobucket-26336-1337256103619.jpg

punk rock kiel
05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
yes i believe thats whaleback.

idk where we are going in ky and ill have video and pictues, i got a gopro hero2.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Gave a great trip bro

Yea I know that's the whale back but I'm trying to take our group to the same spot you and your friends took us when we were up there. When we arrived there was a little hill to turn around and we got off our quads and climbed up on these big boulders with the water on our left and a huge cliff all the way down and to the right that those eco scavenger hunters were scaling. I assume there are multiple areas to access the whale back or is it just that one? Here is another vidoe that reminds me of where you took us but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3TBOTGA4E

Thanks again

CJM
05-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Yea Im sure Ill be fine, i got a small head lol.

Looks like so far I got one and a maybe. They dont go Ill drive my arse there without them lazy suckers.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm glad you're in as we get closer we get more drop outs. Me and my brother are in and he has two buddies on dirt bikes that are maybes. My nephew, cabinet rep and his neighbor are out. I didn't invite Ron, he and my brother don't get along and besides I wouldn't get there until after lunch time as long as he takes ;).

I hope your one doesn't back out so you have company for the long ride.

CJM
05-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Yea I hate when people back out, just the way it goes.

My one buddy wants to take his worked banshee and I keep trying to tell him thats not a good idea since it eats ALOT of gas. he runs out hes screwed unless we can get back to the truck easy.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Yea they're great for climbing the hills but not all day on the trails If he does bring it tell him to bring a gas can. We usually head back to camp for lunch anyway.

CJM
05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Yea they're great for climbing the hills but not all day on the trails If he does bring it tell him to bring a gas can. We usually head back to camp for lunch anyway.

Ill make sure to tell him if he does bring it.

punk rock kiel
05-18-2012, 10:29 AM
that video isnt whaleback, i call that garbage dump road which leads back to a clear as day swimming hole thats nice, i didnt know it was that washed out. the rain cleaned up the garbage. hahahahaha.

when they come outta that road and right after they pass the yfz, you see tracks going to the right, that leads you down to whaleback.

ill see if theres another video but its already friday, so goodluck. if you basically leave the campsite and keep going back into the woods, youll pass another pond on your left and then keep going straight.

punk rock kiel
05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
i gotta say that idiot who posted all them video's doesnt know where hes going or coming from. and he splices the video so you cant figure out where the hell your going.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
thanks again Keil, I thought I had a pretty good idea then that last video confused me all over again. We'll find it or I will find a local that's nice enought to help us out if not. I will post some vids next week.

CJM
05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey tom, got a few questions:

-Were bring lunch or we gonna have a cookout or something? Also anything else i need to bring besides something to drink and perhaps some tools and gas?

OldGuyonaQuad
05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Grab a sandwich & chips from from wawa, ask them to put the lettuce and tomato on the side so it doesnt get soggie on ya. less time eating = more time riding otherwise I would be down with grilling up some burgers. I keep a towel in my back pack. 2-3 bottles of water. Whatever tools are necessary to mount a shifter ;)

You got one or two coming? Or is it wait and see who answers their phone Sunday morning? :D

Keil

Do you know if they have been writing tickets over at the coal hills? I'm not planning on going on them I just want to show these guys what they look like in person, videos never do hills justice.

CJM
05-19-2012, 03:56 AM
Gotcha Tom. I have 2 coming with me for sure (or so they say).

OldGuyonaQuad
05-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Well hopefully they dont back out on ya, I've always been a more the merrier (orsafety in numbers kinda guy, plus like I said it's a long ride solo. It's gonna be a nice day of riding, starting to get pumed.

O btw make sure you ask my brother if he double checked his lug nuts, he lost (came off)a tire 2 out of the last three rides.

quadracer556
05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
whats up boys how did you make out?

CJM
05-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Everything was fine till I fell down one of the coal hills. Im ok, quads ok but it kinda put a damper on the trip.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-25-2012, 03:56 PM
A real damper would have been taking you out on a gurney and towing your quad back to camp. I know you saw some stars & your grab bar is trash but I was thankful that you didn't get seriously hurt and we got a couple of decent rides in after we fixed your steering stem.

CJM
05-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
A real damper would have been taking you out on a gurney and towing your quad back to camp. I know you saw some stars & your grab bar is trash but I was thankful that you didn't get seriously hurt and we got a couple of decent rides in after we fixed your steering stem.

I know, still kinda bummed me out tho.

Im just glad I seem to be ok, feel fine now except my tailbone hurts and my shoulders sore. Coulda been alot worse.

Jayskee
05-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Wish I could've gone with you guys. I miss riding up there. Unfort. with talks of AOAA taking over I dont know whats gonna happen up there. Did you guys run into any problems with people asking for passes? I still need to get my RAC pass for this year. I just havent had time to ride. Any more plans of you guys going up there?

CJM
05-27-2012, 10:08 PM
no one stopped us asking for passes, and I dont think anyone cared either. I was off the quad for awhile and no one waved let alone talked tome.