PDA

View Full Version : Holeshot Advice/Devices

mxpimp2000
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Long story short how do "YOU" get your holeshots? I ride mx atv nationals and i CANT grab a holeshot for nothing. Mid pack maybe sometimes back of the pack. I do have a built motor that will pull my arms off and i just cant grab a good start at all. Would a idol speed holeshot device be worth trying?

I have tried 2nd gear starts and my bike wont grab hard enough to launch me in 2nd so i however have to use 1st on starts. My gearing is higher than stock because i run out of gears on the track with a stock front sprocket. Iam bigger guy than most riders hence another reason i cant use 2nd gear im thinking. I believe ive grabbed 2 holeshots my entire career hahaha.

The main key to a race is the holeshot. I can hang with the riders in my class but if i dont get a good start i cant make many passes or even get close to the leader once the race is going.

share your thoughts/advice/secrets

chronicsmoke
05-11-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, I've only pulled one, but won that moto, my only top 3 so far.

I'm interested in hearing some tips also. I switched my front sprocket to a 13 to launch in 2nd easier. I'm 6'3 200lbs lol, maybe I'm just too fat :p

Balaz_73*00
05-11-2012, 05:51 AM
If it wont grab hard enough in 2nd, your clutch is prob worn out. 2nd is crucial, 1st is too short and youre just loosing time with a shift into 2nd. Id inspect your clutch

blaster12s
05-11-2012, 06:05 AM
youll never grap a holeshot from first. (very rarely)
work on your passing.

Balaz_73*00
05-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Im almost postive some of the pro-am/pros use 3rd gear starts. I know I've seen moser click up into third on the gate, and he usually pulls pretty good starts

mxpimp2000
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
my clutch dosent slip at all and when i mean it wont hook in 2nd means i gotta double clutch it becaus it chokes down from being in too high of a gear im goin to try to get some different rear sprocket combos and put the front back to stock. A holeshot would really help me out

bracey
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
my clutch dosent slip at all and when i mean it wont hook in 2nd means i gotta double clutch it becaus it chokes down from being in too high of a gear im goin to try to get some different rear sprocket combos and put the front back to stock. A holeshot would really help me out

what are the sprocket size front and rear your running now ?????

mxpimp2000
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
15/38 stock is 14/38 and its on a yfz450

chronicsmoke
05-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
15/38 stock is 14/38 and its on a yfz450

I'm assuming from your first post run out of gears with 14/38?

Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
[QUOTE]Im almost postive some of the pro-am/pros use 3rd gear starts. I know I've seen moser click up into third on the gate, and he usually pulls pretty good starts

Wha thats crazy, mine doesn't have that kind of HP unfortunetly
:(

mxpimp2000
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
yes with 14/38 i can be 5th gear on a track (not all tracks) it seems like my bike has killer mid-top end but NO bottom could that be from my 15 sprocket

note: i also geared it up on the front sprocket to tame it down because i was wheeling everywhere i go

SRH
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
when you go 1 tooth up on the primary with 18inch tires in the rear your just about back to stock gearing

i always liked first gear for dirt starts, id always pop off the gate ahead, and then would run about dead even with the front guys if i got the next 2 shifts off smooth , in 2nd i always felt like they got the jump and i had to be on the clutch too much off the gate

i always felt liek the gearing was weird on yfz's, and drop a front sprocket and the gears were way too short

01boneless
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
drop your front sproket back down and lean on the tank ...

beastlywarrior
05-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Maybe try 14 36 or 14 37

ikas
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Have nice tires. Pin it and use the clutch if your lose traction or get to much. Full trottle at gear changes use the clutch and shift, much smother gear changes.

89trx250r
05-11-2012, 06:02 PM
I dont know if you start on dirt or crete or both maybe..But just make sure your ruts are good no debris in there,stomp it to get the dirt nice and packed im sure you do this already...Or if on concrete lean on the tank and have your pal lift the rear of the quad and get the tires nice and warm so they are sticky like a drag racer would...Gotta use second gear maybe feather the clutch slightly and try to build your revs quickly so you can get into the power so you can get into third gear...Finally just get yourself pumped on the line...Tell yourself your gonna rip the **** out of this holeshot and no one else even has a chance...But dont get discouraged if there are others in front of you going into the first turn.Goodluck sir.

CSR400EX
05-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by ikas
Have nice tires. Pin it and use the clutch if your lose traction or get to much. Full trottle at gear changes use the clutch and shift, much smother gear changes.
beat me to it, try an get your shifts down faster can equal a bike length or two. and try to lower the gearing to get a little better drive off the line, also kinda slip the clutch a bit if it tries to wheelie.

mxpimp2000
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
thanks, theres no reason my bike aint gettin holeshots..the bike rips like no other i have every mod i can do to this machine other than stroker crank and im staying production for AMA class rules. stock bore stock stroke with heavy ported head and fat bored carb and intake setup. Ive never had it on a dyno but if i had to guess the HP id say 55-58 depending on the dyno and maybe 60 after tuned right

jkiserracing
05-12-2012, 08:44 PM
To be honest I really think its a couple things. First I beleive you need to re-think that gearing. If your motor is that strong then try several different rear sprockets. I would go back to the stock front. Remember 1 tooth on the front is like 3 on the rear (or there about)
Also...what about the rear shock. Is it stock? You may need to do some adjustment there. Too soft (on some tracks) might grab too hard and need to be adjusted to compensate. And...take a look at your ride height too while your at it and make sure thats good.
Last thing...what tires are you using. Are they soft compund by chance or worn / brand new etc?
To me...it sounds like something is just out of sync. Since your a bigger guy, your suspension should be set for you....your weight...and riding style. Is all that stuff good??

iwhip86
05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
2ed gear starts, as soon as you get over that gate you click 3rd, Your getting no where with first gear, A good packed or swept gate is a must also, all holeshot devices are a gimmick and do nothing, Ive tested and build a few of our own and nothing worked or felt safe to use

mxpimp2000
05-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
To be honest I really think its a couple things. First I beleive you need to re-think that gearing. If your motor is that strong then try several different rear sprockets. I would go back to the stock front. Remember 1 tooth on the front is like 3 on the rear (or there about)
Also...what about the rear shock. Is it stock? You may need to do some adjustment there. Too soft (on some tracks) might grab too hard and need to be adjusted to compensate. And...take a look at your ride height too while your at it and make sure thats good.
Last thing...what tires are you using. Are they soft compund by chance or worn / brand new etc?
To me...it sounds like something is just out of sync. Since your a bigger guy, your suspension should be set for you....your weight...and riding style. Is all that stuff good??

Tires 95% dunlop quadmax hard compound
rear shock Axis titanium
ride height 6.5 / 6.0 (f/r)

my rear shock is pretty stiff because i ran it with 0 preload and it never bottomed out. My front shocks are fox gen2 evols and ive use several combos on tires but cant afford the soft compounds because of the life. I have 13/14/15 front sprockets and never changed the rear sprockets at all ive always ran 38. It dont help that i DONT have a place for testing at home. Im wanting to grab a 37 and 36 rear sprocket and try those to see how it helps.

jkiserracing
05-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I dont think a soft compond tire would do you any good any way. Sounds like you've got all the necesities in place but I still beleive the issue is with gearing and suspension. Your only real way to figure this out is to find somplace you can test all this out. I would start back at stock gearing and go from that point changing the rear sprocket first. You will want to make adjustments on the low speed on the rear shock just to see what it does as far as traction. Did you have that shock set up specifically for you and your bike?

atvfrk10
05-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't really matter what anyone tells you. It's up to you and you have to practice.

You have to find the gearing, shifting, technique, etc. that fits you. I start in first and do not have problems getting a hole shot. But starting in first along with my gearing and riding technique suits me.

I know you said that you don't have anywhere to practice this, but that is really all you can do.

LTR450_#67
05-13-2012, 09:53 AM
How do you position you body at the gate? I always hang forward a lil to get my weight biased torwards the front, that way my tires don't bite so hard. Then once I crossed the gate slide back.....I've gotten a few holeshots like that when I used to race and that was with a stock ltr... it was a short run to the first corner.

BlaineKaiser450
05-13-2012, 03:03 PM
When I had my 04 450r I always used second gear starts, with stock gearing (14/38) and 18 inch tires, and got pretty good at them. It just takes practice! I always put my nuts on the gas tank and worked the clutch and everything came together well. Although that was before my rugby and football days, so I was only 135 pounds, I don't know if i could work that out anymore at 185

FHKracingZ
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
When it comes to holeshots its just about being consistent about the little things. They make a huge difference. Body position, rpm, to slip or dump the clutch, what gear, how tacky the dirt is, how deep are the ruts behind the gate...You need to practice and fine tune what works for you.

I start in 2nd gear 95% of the time. If the dirt is very tacky and I can get a good drive I might try first and get to 2nd right away, pulled a holeshot in pro-am last year at georgia doing that.

Practice, practice, practice!

mxpimp2000
05-19-2012, 10:58 PM
ok for an update i swapped out the front 15T sprocket with the stock 14T and the bike rips out in 2nd gear so hard i cant keep the front end on the ground. Im guessing i need to find the sweet spot gearing ratio by swapping the rear sprocket between 36 37 38 and right now 38 is stock and thats what iam running

LTR450_#67
05-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Sounds good.....rule of thumb is 1tooth on the front sprocket is like 3 on the rear...

Mr49!!
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
JUST FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D