PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed...

bigmatt61
05-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I pretty much know the answer but I'm gonna ask the question anyway.
I purchased a complete Pro cross CT 350 motor with an LRD unlimited rev cdi a couple years back from a forum member.
Before purchasing said motor I (by way of the classified add) was told that it was lower hours and blew 180psi. So I ASSUMED that it was ready to go. About the same time I purchased a quick change clutch cover for the motor. When I went to install the cover I found that the one fibers in it was disintegrated and the rest were worn. I contacted the seller and he made it right.
At this point I once again ASSUMED all is well and complete so I left the motor on the bench waiting for the rest of the quad to be completed.
Fast forward a year and a half ... the motor is in the quad and I'm topping off the coolant when I see it (the coolant) dripping onto a towel I had under the quad. I quickly double check my lines and drainage points only to find all is tight. When I got to looking closer I see the coolant coming from the nuts and head area on the motor running down the sides and dripping from the bottom. WTF!!!! ALL THE NUTS THAT HOLD DOWN THE HEAD ARE LOOSE!!!!
The one thing you think you shouldn't have to check...WTH? I should've known.
Now the questions:
Could the coolant have drained down into the bottom end?
Should I just bite the bullet and tear it down to be sure?
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Matt

hartwill
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Better safe then sorry..
If it worth doing, it's worth doing right..
Better to have a hen tomorrow than an egg today..
I'm sure there's more. Lol If you weren't kicking it over though you may be OK depending on where your piston was..
That sucks though. I know the feeling, makes you sick to your stomach. Hope it all works out man.

sangheraent
05-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I once pinched an oring on my banshee's cool head and I kid you not the bike literally became a water cannon. I popped off the head fixed the orings and it ran for 5 years until I overheated it.

chronicsmoke
05-11-2012, 05:52 AM
If I had your engine I'd be taking every precaution I could.. You may find that the coolant stayed out, but it's worth the piece of mind.

Post some pics up after :)

Motofool250r
05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
id do some inspection, remove stator cover inspect, remve head have a look at this point who knows what is wrong?

who did you buy from?

deathman53
05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
only thing i would do at this point would be a complete break-down. You could find more wrong or nothing else. With a destroyed clutch and top end not being right(and told everything was good), I am very suspect of the whole thing.

aztecgwynn
05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Considering all you have been through with that motor and what was said "low hours" I would just save money and put new seals and new gaskets all around that motor and do a final leak down test. If you don't and it blows up will be more expensive that way.

k7mm
05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Drain the coolant.Pull the head and cylinder.Buy new gaskets and o-rings.With the cylinder pulled,you can check every thing that has to do with the crank and main bearings,without having to split your cases.A 250R manual will tell you how to check the crank,if it"s good or bad.Top dead center,grasp the rod with one hand,with the other hand,hit down on the piston with your palm.If there is downward play,then the crank is bad.Side to side movement on the rod is ok,up or down movement is not.If there is any coolant down in the crank case area,then blow it out with air.Pour a little 2 stroke mix oil on your bearings,coat your cylinder wall and rings with 2 stroke mix oil.replace gasket and o-rings.Torque down to specs.On the PRO CROSS cylinders,buy a crowsfoot socket wrench to torque the front bolts.If any of your seals would be bad,it would be the one behind your stator/ flywheel,for the crank.
Keith

bigmatt61
05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Ok, thanks everyone. It sounds like tearing it down is what I should have done as soon as I got the motor. Oh well, live and learn!