View Full Version : Too old?

mt20
05-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I was wondering what peoples opinions were of a 44 year old wanting to start racing GNCC ? I've spent the last 25 years as a sprint car mechanic and I guess that I am looking for a new challenge.

Balaz_73*00
05-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Not at all! My dad is 57 and did a couple xc races with me last year. He placed pretty decent too bc he finished the races. For him, I wouldnt say slow, but figuratively slow and steady and keeping his machine going the whole race had him finishing ok. I say go for it.

dxcody
05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
TOO OLD!? TOOOO OLD!!?? TOOOOOO OOOOLLLLDDDD!!??!!??

man, you need to research some guys lol

Look up John Gallagher (RIP), Dave Simmons, Mike Ockerman...

(By the way i dont think Mike Ockerman started racing until he was early 50's? not sure, but he started late.)

All those guys are over 50 years old and this past few years Dave Simmons has been winning nearly every GNCC event in his class, and probably over a dozen Overall wins in the last 2-3 years.

Dont let age be a factor!

ben300
05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
TOO OLD!? TOOOO OLD!!?? TOOOOOO OOOOLLLLDDDD!!??!!??

man, you need to research some guys lol

Look up John Gallagher (RIP), Dave Simmons, Mike Ockerman...

(By the way i dont think Mike Ockerman started racing until he was early 50's? not sure, but he started late.)

All those guys are over 50 years old and this past few years Dave Simmons has been winning nearly every GNCC event in his class, and probably over a dozen Overall wins in the last 2-3 years.

Dont let age be a factor!

exactly what dxcody said......old is just a frame of mind!

theres a reason why they have different age classes...its so everyone, no matter what age, can get out there and mix it up..

dont let age hold you back from anything man. my old man, haha, is 53, took a nearly 18 year hiatus from competitive running, got back into it a couple years ago, and now runs 17:5X.XX 5k's and in the upper 1 hr 2X.XX min half marathons.....he every day tries to live life like he was in his early 30's...

your never gonna hear me say im old...i hope, whne im in my late sixties, to still be our there running, riding, and tearing up the ski slopes! (well, thats if i can keep myself from breaking legs and such :devil: haha)

Matt150
05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
A great quote from an Xtreme t shirt I have "You don't quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding".
You only get one chance at this life go do it and have no regrets. I'm planning on doing +40 mx next weekend at Walnut.

SRH
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
a good portion of gncc racing is strategy and patience, i think age is somewhat of an advantage

OldGuyonaQuad
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Nevar too old!!!

all though if you arent' independantly wealthy and you are the bread winner for your family it would be irresponsible not to consider this a factor. But hey if you got the cash (or great insurance) and little responsibilities then by all means kyo

mt20
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the responses guys !! I am thinking that I will give it a try after I lose some winter pounds ! :D Balaz : Thats great that your dad is doing that with you !! dxcody : What " backwoods of Indiana" do you live near ? ben300 : Congrats to your dad !! Matt150: Good Luck !!!!!! Let me know how it goes !! SRH : I totally agree ! It is that way in every form of racing. OldGuyonaQuad : I am definitely not independently wealthy, my wife has a pretty good job so I`m not the sole bread winner. I have taken what can happen into consideration, I know full well what can happen I have lost a couple of good friends to sprint car accidents. But I have always looked at this way : When your number is up it doesn`t matter if you are in bed asleep or racing because that is the way it is supposed to happen.

slightlybent47
05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm 51 and i still ride like the wind!