PDA

View Full Version : What to use Gasket Sealer On?

bostthehause
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm preparing to re-assemble the top end on the 400ex. I bought a Cometic top end gasket kit. I know that I shouldn't use gasket sealer on the head gasket. But should I put some gasket sealer on the base gasket or the valve cover gasket?

Both the base gasket and the valve cover gasket are the metal type not paper. Thanks in advance!

CJM
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Dont need to use anything. I never have and have done at least 6 top ends in the past few years on mine and a few others, never a leak.

It is wise to clean the heck outta the mating surfaces as well. I use very fine 400 grit sandpaper usually.

TheAwesomehonda
05-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bostthehause
I'm preparing to re-assemble the top end on the 400ex. I bought a Cometic top end gasket kit. I know that I shouldn't use gasket sealer on the head gasket. But should I put some gasket sealer on the base gasket or the valve cover gasket?

Both the base gasket and the valve cover gasket are the metal type not paper. Thanks in advance! Wait your saying that the gasket between the crank case and the cylinder is metal? Mine is the paper type, but the head gasket and the valve cover are metal.

Stickman400
05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
He's talking about the Cometic gasket kit being metal. Not the stock ones being metal.

TheAwesomehonda
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
He's talking about the Cometic gasket kit being metal. Not the stock ones being metal. I know and i've got the cometic gaskets to. The one between the crank case and the cylinder is paper or the same material as the crank case covers.

CJM
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Thats the cheap crappy cometic gaskets, the good MLS ones are all metal.

mudder67
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
When I change my clutches would gasket sealer need to be used to put the side of the motor back on with the new gasket. I was told yes buy rocky mountain atv.

CJM
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by mudder67
When I change my clutches would gasket sealer need to be used to put the side of the motor back on with the new gasket. I was told yes buy rocky mountain atv.

No, just the gasket.
Had 3 of them apart in less than a year-no leaks.

mudder67
05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Would putting the sealer hurt. By buddy just did his and put a line of sealer on it.

TheAwesomehonda
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats the cheap crappy cometic gaskets, the good MLS ones are all metal. So your telling me that I can get metal gaskets for my whole motor? and they're better?

CJM
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by mudder67
Would putting the sealer hurt. By buddy just did his and put a line of sealer on it.

Possibly, if it leaks gotta redo it all.

Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
So your telling me that I can get metal gaskets for my whole motor? and they're better?

Um yea...