PDA

View Full Version : Tire Balls?

400man
05-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Anybody have any experience with Tire Balls? This last race I did KILLED one of my front tires. I have douglas beadlocks with GBC Xrex tires all around. I finished fine and since I have beadlocks I didnt have to worry about losing the tire completely. I think that tire had 5 different spots with holes, used probably 10 or 15 tire plugs in the whole tire. All four tires still have like brand new tread that will probably last me several years as far as tread life goes. I was just thinking about trying to make them flat proof so that I wouldnt have to worry about constantly pluging the tires for holes all the time.

And I have found some other alternatives such as using those foam pool noodles and other types of inflatable balls to run in the tires. I just want to make it where I wouldnt have to worry about airing the tires up ever again and make my wheels and tires setup nearly bulletproof.

Scro
05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
If you want bulletproof, tireballs is the best option. Granted they are not indestrucable, but they are as close as you are going to get. There are some alternatives out there, but none offer the same smooth ride, or hook up that the tireballs bring to the table. They compliment your suspension, making for a smoother ride. They are alot of work mount them, but I'll never race again without them.

400man
05-08-2012, 11:54 PM
is there any kind of maintance to them after you get em inside the tires and mounted? and do you still air up the tires like normal or do you mainly rely on the tire balls for keeping the tire up?

dxcody
05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
In dirtwheels i think i saw that Borich runs 4lbs in each ball in the rear tires and 5 lbs in each ball up front and airs the front tires to 6 lbs also.

I think thats how it went, could be wrong though.

If nothing else, buy tubes.

I personally have never had success with tubes, i put one in my foreman and busted it the first day i went riding.

Could have been the cheap tube, could have ran something over?? Not sure.

Scro
05-09-2012, 07:17 AM
How much air you run is really personal preference. I ran 5lbs in the balls, front and rear. 2lbs in the front tires over the balls, and 1lbs in the rear over the balls. There's no additional maintenance, unless you pop one and have to replace it.

I wouldn't mess with tubes. When you can put a hole through the sidewall big enough to stick 2 fingers in, a tube doesn't stand a chance.

400man
05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I just want to find some way to make it seem almost "flat proof", like after a race or a long all day trail ride you see a giant gash in the sidewall but the tire still seems like its halfway atleast aired up. I like the tires I got and I plan on running em untill they are bald cause I have a knobby knife and I can keep sharpening the knob edges as they get really rounded over.