PDA

View Full Version : i need some help with my 400ex

bradleemoneyhun
05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
ok so i just got this atv and i have been jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver so i can start it and after about 15 times throut the day it stoped mid start and now it does nothing and the lights wont even come on and ya i charged battery and checked it its still good. so any thoughts on my problem would be apreciated and remember my lights wont even turn on eithier so i was thinking like a short but i checked all my wires none were loose. oh and if anyone could find me a wiring diagram id appreciate it

TheAwesomehonda
05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Not really sure about your problem man. Maybe fuses? Get a service manual they have all the wiring diagrams. I like the clymer manuals.

bradleemoneyhun
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
i checked the fuse and i tried a new one its something else i am thinking that its a short but i want more opinions before spending an hour with a volt meter

on the rocks
05-06-2012, 03:57 PM
when checking the fuses there is a spare and a used fuse. just make sure you know that. now with jumping the solenoid basically all your doing is making a straight path for power to the starter. you can unbolt the 2 large wires from the top and touch them to confirm the problem in in the solenoid. it should crank. next unplug the wires for the solenoid from the harness. these wires are for the coil to move the connecting disk in the solenoid. just check resistance through there using ohm's. you looking for some sort of a number. you don't need a spec. if it is out of limits the coils is broken, if its 0.00 ohms there is a short in it. hope this helps and should only take a few min to check.

Tommy Warren
05-07-2012, 07:21 PM
clean the battery connections

D3structive
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
sounds to me like a bad battery. you had enough juice building up as a surface charge to fire it up and it kept dying as the charge wore worse during your day. I say from experience you have a bad cell or 2 in your battery. (I'm sure your wire harness is ok)