PDA

View Full Version : barry hawk wins florida opener

660bigdaddy
03-05-2003, 03:11 PM
congrates to barry on his win. yamaha swept the podium. can he be the first person to win the quad and bike championship ? :huh

(KN)GNCC91
03-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Barry could do it, his ride won't let him run both, at least that was what was said. Plus the new GNCC rules, pro bikes can't enter the atv race, not sure on this?

jlhughes750
03-06-2003, 11:24 AM
i think what he meant was can he win a championship on a bike after winning all those years on a quad, who else can do it??????????? he might but i think florida was a unique race with alot of people finishing farther ahead than they ever will again.
It was a slop hole!!!!!!!

Teufel
03-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by (KN)GNCC91
Barry could do it, his ride won't let him run both, at least that was what was said. Plus the new GNCC rules, pro bikes can't enter the atv race, not sure on this?

According to Barry, although Yamaha prefers he not race the quads they do not restrict him from it. His reason for not racing the quads is to concentrate on his bike career. He earns considerably more $ racing Bikes and placing in the top 10 than he did Dominating the quads.

A few years ago Scott Summers ran a couple of GNCC quad events but Honda give him some flak about it.. He was actually running the utility class and had a blast.

quadman21
03-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Not to get off the subject of Barry too much (which I agree, he can do it if he focuses) but here's how I feel about Honda. I don't think they put anything into ATV racing. Maybe they don't have to because were doing it for them. But when trikes were banned Honda left us with nothing for years. When they did come out with a new quad it was a glorified 250X. We loved them for it. Years and years later they finally graced us with a 400EX. We licked their butt again. Honda makes us wait and wait and in the meanwhile we complain and gripe. As soon as they do relase a new machine we love them all over again.
I am giulty of this myself. NOTHING compares to a Honda no matter if it's only a generator. Why else would a 11 year old machine be a benchmark for all sportquads? I love hondas' products and will never buy another brand but they suck when it comes to supporting their customers and racing. They wouldn't even let Summers race this season (from the latest I read) and he is a great icon of GNCC racing. I just wish honda would back us by creating a factory ATV team. They need to follow all the other companys in that regard.:grr

Extremeracer167
03-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Did Bob SLoan do it b4, or did he never win any championships?

jlhughes750
03-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Mr. Sloan won it in 89 and 92, he was the last one to win a championship WHILE Hawk was racing. I believe Hawk got second to Sloan in 91 and when Bob passed away he was battling with Hawk for the series points lead, he may have beat Hawk that year had he not passed.

Godspeed Bob Sloan, the greatest ATV racer of all time!!!!!!!

Later, J

660bigdaddy
03-07-2003, 03:26 PM
what i meant was, can barrry hawk be the first to win a quad championship(which he has) and win a bike championship. (hopefully this year). sorry for the confusion:( i like barry. he's one of OUR guys. he used to ride both before he hooked up w/ a factory ride.

Teufel
03-07-2003, 08:20 PM
good post quadman21, that whole situation pisses me off.:mad:

Sloan did run some of the bike Gncc but he never competed for the bike championship while on a quad......

He was one fierce competitor there is no doubt, but I would have to say Barry is/was the best to ever race a quad in the woods. It is a shame that a quad champion can't have the same financial opportunities as the bike racers..

Iwas disappointed to see that Scott Summers wasn't going to come back to the GNCC this year. He was exciting to watch pound that big thumper around. He raced with a ferocity that even Sloan couldn't have matched.

Ryan
03-08-2003, 06:08 PM
I disgree with these new GNCC rules. I don't think that they should have done this. Now, many people who were looking forward to racing both can not do so :ermm: . Im sure Barry and/or any of the other Bike/Quad racers were also very dissapointed.

Why did they deceide to do this anyways?

GNCC#829
03-09-2003, 06:41 PM
I think the rules say that if you race quads, you can't race PRO Bikes. You can still race an amateur class.

03-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Hawk rocks!!!!

quadman21
03-10-2003, 06:47 AM
The new GNCC rules I can deal with. I think it prevents a Mcgrath style era. When watching Bod Sloan dice it out in the woods, you guys forgot to mention Chuck Delullo. Those few years anyone of them could win at any moment. Recently it seems to be a one man show (which is ok) but I like to see a little competition. The new Pro Production class has a lot of battling going on. Instead of seeing one rider win all the time wouldn't you like to see a season like the Pro bikes last year? I like Ballance but I wouldn't want to see him winning the Pro bikes every weekend too:)

cdalejef
03-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Teufel

Iwas disappointed to see that Scott Summers wasn't going to come back to the GNCC this year. He was exciting to watch pound that big thumper around. He raced with a ferocity that even Sloan couldn't have matched. Scott tried but Honda had already done their racing budget for the year. He said he will be racing again next year!

660bigdaddy
03-10-2003, 02:48 PM
i see barry backed up his win with a second place finish at georgia.:huh looks like he might make a run at the bike championship.:macho