PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temps!

dxcody
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Ok so i assembled my buddies engine for him the other day, and i havent pulled the plug yet.

It was bone stock/ stock jetting with a FMF slip on, so i jetted it to where i thought it should be, and the engine mods we did were, fresh 86 mm bore and wiseco 10:1 piston, stage 1 cam, new timing chain, checked and lapped valves, ported the exhaust, cleaned everything up good, and fired it up today. Fired up instantly.

I rode it around for about 15 mins and got took the temp (i felt like it was running hot but i am very paranoid about this since its the first engine i have ever done that wasnt mine) and the temp was 234 at the head.

Is that running hot or is that normal?
I just rode it around in my field, about 3rd gear most of the time at different RPMs.

Thanks!

dxcody
05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
For what its worth, my honda foreman (which is jetted dead on i will add) runs right at 200 idleing.

So im guess im OK?

ish416
05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
I think that is the high side of normal. I'm assuming premium pump fuel was used?

Also, yesterday in Indiana was a bit of a warmer than average day, that could come into play as well.

I would say all is well.

dxcody
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Ok cool.

Yea today it is 87. lol

as long as its not gonna overheat and explode... ;)

ish416
05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
It would lose a noticeable amount of power before you would cause any damage from it overheating. To the point you would know something was going on, or at least the person riding it would notice it.

I think I have asked you before but wheres in Indiana are you located?

dxcody
05-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Terre Huate. Well technically i live in a tiny town called "Youngstown" but its on the verrry south end of terre haute.

honda400ex2003
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
thats not bad for head temps, if that was an oil temp it would be pretty high.

i usually check the oil temp inside of my tank, 190-210 is normal usually for oil temps

anything above 240 and i would be shutting it down to be safe.

just my .02 though,
steve