PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help with Morini Franco 50cc engine

airmobile101
05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I had purchased a used 2001 KTM 50 mini adventure for my daughter. It ran great until my 10 year old son decided to take it and drag race it up and down the street against the neighbors KX65.

Anyways..... long story short, the top ring collapsed and scored the cylinder pretty good. Parts for this thing are next to impossible to find. And another issue is this engine has about 4 variations. We have the S5-GS with the the VM -14 mm carb. Which makes it very difficult to find parts. All KTM dealers pretty much say its on backorder until July.

I know there has to be a few LEM quad dads out there that might have this engine or at least the cylinder to sell. Just asking for a little help to get my 4- year old riding!

If you know somebody, please point me in the right direction! Please!
You can ever call or text me!
636-232-1157
Tim

chunky0071
05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.mt-llc.com/index.html Just have it plated you may not find another cylinder! KTM can no loner get the parts for those they are not made any more!

airmobile101
05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Ok......... well that would explain it. lol Can't find crap for this bike. I guess I should expect that from a 500 buck bike. lol

miniquaddad90
05-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Ok......... well that would explain it. lol Can't find crap for this bike. I guess I should expect that from a 500 buck bike. lol

Thats why I asked what year it was. I bought a 98 for my son, was told "it ran last summer"... Got it home, had it running with simple carb clean but the clutch was F'ed. Come to find out, parts no longer available. I still came out ahead, made $100 on the KTM and picked up a used KX60

airmobile101
05-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by miniquaddad90
Thats why I asked what year it was. I bought a 98 for my son, was told "it ran last summer"... Got it home, had it running with simple carb clean but the clutch was F'ed. Come to find out, parts no longer available. I still came out ahead, made $100 on the KTM and picked up a used KX60
Yea........ I got a spare cylinder, but its not in much better shape. I have a few brand new pistons also. I ran a hone thru it today and it cleaned it up a little bit,but not what I had hoped for. I just might slap it together and hope for the best.lol

swartz racing
05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
trust me cut your losses now I had one bought it for $200 ended up with over a grand total in the bike and it still ran like s**t sold it for 450 It cost me about 450 to do the top end over! you can find good deals on newer ones and they are deffinately worth it those old morini engines are a pain! morini franco usa sells parts but he never has them waited 3 months for new cylinder to come in and it never did so i sent it to get re-plated!

airmobile101
05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
We are up and running! Had to get creative with this engine since parts are not avalible. Its now a S5-GS engine with a S5-T piston that was hogged out on the intake port. And some thermal steel for the score marks. lol Didn't care if the thermal steel held or not of if it would destroy the complete engine at this point. Put its holding up and fires up on the first kick.
Now it will spend the rest of the summer with a 4 year old girl with training wheels and probably won't exceed 5-10 mph.:D

brianriego
07-20-2015, 08:26 PM
I have the same bike im looking for an ignition coil