PDA

View Full Version : Quadshop Elkas 1st review

DirtDiggler
03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
I put the Elka SSDs all the way around today. The installation went well everything fit no problem. I routed the rear rezzy like Rico mounted his. I have to get a parking brake block off and get rid of the cable for now it is in the way but everything went on fine.

The ride was much better than stock in every category. I wound up setting the compression on all the shocks to the 7th click. I didn't mess with the rebound much because it is snowy where I live and I really couldn't ride like I normally ride so I'm going to leave that alone until I have some dirt to ride on. I rode around on them for about 45 minutes and I was totaly impressed. I had some options for schocks and I'm glad Jeff steered me in the direction he did for price and performance I'm totaly impressed so far. Thanx Jeff!! I'm sure I'll get happier as the weather improves and I can continue to dia them in.

I do have one question. When I take off quick the front end lifts up a lot suspension wise unless I keep my weight well over the bars. Is this normal for all zps style shocks or do I have to adjust something differently? once I'm riding they are awesome and I noticed if I pick up on the front end the shocks drop down quite a ways so there is a lot of travel there for a bike with the stock a-arms still.

I'll be looking for some hypers to go all the way around later this year so hopefully me and Jeff can do business again.

Diggler:D

DirtDiggler
03-05-2003, 03:43 PM
btw

The only thing that was tough if you could call it that was trying to feel the clicks on the compression setting. I did each shock a couple of times to make sure they were set they way I thought. The clicks are very subtle.
Diggler

YZROOSTINYA
03-06-2003, 03:51 AM
i think you can adjust the rebound possibly to help slow the shocks return to normal, if you have that option, basivcally it slows the shock when extending????

QuadTrix6
03-06-2003, 04:38 AM
yea the adjustment isnt how i thought it would be. it goes like stiff to smooth and falls in the spot. i thought it would be like an audiable click

SGA
03-06-2003, 06:19 AM
I got my elkas from Jeff also. Yes, it is normal for the front end to lift when you nail the gas. It feels weird at first, but is easy to get used to.
The idea is for the front tires to stay in contact with the ground at all times. When the tire is off the ground, you have no control of steering.
On the fronts, after some expeirments, I set the comp adjuster at 2, and adjusted up (softened) the preload nut to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch away from the shock cap. That was a good setup for XC. Do not make alot of changes at first. Give the shocks time to break in. Do not run the shocks too stiff. Thats what you paid the big bucks for, to get rid of that. The shocks should be very close to bottoming on big hits. That way you are using all of the shock travel. Mine came set up a bit stiff. ( the preload nut on the spring). The comp knob came set on # one. Once I softened the preload up, the ride was incredible.

raptor_02
03-06-2003, 01:18 PM
what do most of you MX guys set your ELKAS compression at. Mine are 10 clicks to the hardened side ride now. I think each shock has like 23 clicks or something like that. I think my first ride on them one shock was set stiffer than the other :huh Cause the compression nobs were turned different directions. So I started them both back all the way soft then took them both 10 clicks toward the harder side. I haven't got to ride it like this yet but I am curious to see how they will do. My shocks should be broke in by now, i rode about 20 laps on a small local track the other day so they should be broke in. Anyways any suggestions on how to set the compression and leave it that way would be nice. I don't want to mess with the REBOUND cause I really don't understand how COMPRESSION or REBOUND works.

DirtDiggler
03-06-2003, 02:36 PM
I don't have rebound adjustments on the fronts just on the rear. I can't get to deep into dialing them in until I can ride them in dirt instead of snow. Where I ride right now it's hard to get enough traction to hit anything with any real speed.

How did you guys adjust your chain afterwards? When the quad squats due to the SSD it pulls the chain very tight. I know all zps style shocks do this. Did you adjust it just sitting there or with someone on it to make it sit like it will while riding? Did you adjust it like the manual said for the original chain specs or did you make it a little tighter? I know if you lift up the rear end like it's in the air when you jump the chain gets very loose.

Thanx in advance for the info
Diggler

DirtDiggler
03-06-2003, 02:39 PM
QuadTrix6,
I think it could be either way:

1. An audible click.
2. A notch that you can really feel solidly when you turn it.

Diggler

QuadTrix6
03-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by DirtDiggler
QuadTrix6,
I think it could be either way:

1. An audible click.
2. A notch that you can really feel solidly when you turn it.

Diggler

tru all shocks can be different

DirtDiggler
03-07-2003, 01:47 PM
anybody got any insight on the chain adjustment thing?

Doibugu2
03-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Your supposed to adjust your chain with 1" of slack with no one on it, if its stock. I would think it would be the same, even though you have a different shock. PM Rico or Jeff and see what they do.

ajr400ex
03-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Go to GT Thunder's web site and look under tech tips or something like that. They tell you how to adjust it correctly. This is how I adjust my chain - works great - not too tight or loose.

DirtDiggler
03-11-2003, 03:52 PM
I couldn't find a link like that on GT Thunder's site. You are sayin even squatting with a zps style shock the chain should have about an inch of play?

ajr400ex
03-11-2003, 08:22 PM
This will show you how to adjust the chain.

http://www.geocities.com/~gtthunder/sitemap_set.html

DirtDiggler
03-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanx man I really appreciate it.