PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

db5
05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
just installed a tusk clutch kit with HD springs...well now everytime i start it ( cold start ) when i go to ride i pull in the clutch lever and when i shift into 1st it jumps and kills like i didnt have the clutch in? so i put it back in nuetral fire it back up and it works fine...it only does it the first time i put it in gear on a cold start...anyone know what this could be??

Stickman400
05-01-2012, 09:54 PM
You're clutch needs to be adjusted.

db5
05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
i adjusted it!
it only does it the first time its put in gear thats what threw me off
if it need to be adjusted wouldnt it do it more than once?
thanks for the reply!

Stickman400
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm thinking you have your perch or engine end adjusted for the worn out stock plates and now that you have new thicker plates in it you need to adjust it back out so that it will catch right. If your lever is adjusted so that it has about 1/4" of play in it and it still does that then you have something else wrong. If it acts like that only once on a cold start and then is perfectly fine that is very weird.

db5
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
im going to check again and make sure its adjusted correctly...thats what confused me i start it up to go ride pull in the clutch shift into first and it jumps and kills...so i put it in neutral and restart it shift back into first and its absolutley fine...maybe one of the pressure plate bolts are loose?

Pipeless416
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
how many hours do you have on it?

Steve89x
05-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Mine does the same exact thing, I have a HD clutch kit in mine too. The first time on cold start up it acts the same way. I just rev it up when i shift it and the quad kinda jerks/jumps but it doesn't die as long as I'm giving it a little throttle. After the first shift its fine so I've just left it alone, been that way for 3-4 years now since I rebuilt the motor.

300exBorg
05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
That's very odd... I would think that something little must be throwing it off when cold if it is doing it to you EVERY time. I personally would take the clutch apart and check it over. How much throttle are you giving it when you go to shift into first? I would try what the person above me mentioned and give it some more throttle. Boy that would annoy the living **** out of me LOL.

TheAwesomehonda
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Steve89x
Mine does the same exact thing, I have a HD clutch kit in mine too. The first time on cold start up it acts the same way. I just rev it up when i shift it and the quad kinda jerks/jumps but it doesn't die as long as I'm giving it a little throttle. After the first shift its fine so I've just left it alone, been that way for 3-4 years now since I rebuilt the motor. I've got the same problem to.. I think its just those tusk plates i don't like them at all.

Stickman400
05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Maybe let the engine warm up for a minute or so before you try to take off? Maybe they are cold and get stuck together and just need broken apart or warmed up so they grip right. What kind of oil are you running? Maybe it's too thick and binding the plates up when it's cold or something. I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Steve89x
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I believe I have an EBC HD clutch kit in mine though not a tusk, I just assumed it is because of the HD springs but it could be the oil as well. I just run the 10 w40 Honda oil.

CJM
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
The plates are sticking together from being cold, but it also sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted.

I have a full HD setup with springs and 8 plates from GT Thunder and dont have this issue.

Stickman400
05-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I run that same oil and have that same clutch kit. I don't have that problem either but I don't jump on mine, start it and immediately take off either. I get it started then let it idle for 2 or 3 minutes while I put on my gear then I take off.

Steve89x
05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Well ya i let mine warm up to for a few minutes too. Its just like cjm said, the plates are sticking from the quad sitting for a few days

db5
05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
i hope its the plates just sticking...i normally run rotella 15w-40 but i am currently running 20w-50...i went thicker during the summer because i feel like once the motor gets warm it feels like its harder to shift..i thought the oil may be getting to thin which caused this...am i running to thick? i normally let my bike idle for 5 -10 mins before i take off

Stickman400
05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Actually you are supposed to run 20w-50 in the summer, but only in the summer because it's thinner and will help keep the engine a little cooler. Usually everyone just runs 10w-40 because you can run it year round with no issues. I'd say put in some 10w-40 or some shell 15w-40 and see if it comes out of it.

CJM
05-04-2012, 03:46 PM
20w is thicker stick.

I run 15w-40 year round no issues, also ran 15w-50 year round no issues either.

What brand/type of oil are you running now?

Also to note: I was going to buy the tusk kit but read MANY bad reviews about the plates sticking together-specially when warmed up.

db5
05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
currently i have castrol 20w-50 but normally run shell rotella t 15w-40

CJM
05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Id say try swapping to the thinner oil and see if it makes a difference. The oil you have no could have friction modifiers in it and not be designed for a wet clutch type system like the EX uses. That could be causing an issues.

If anything like i said earlier its one of a few things:
1. Clutch cable needs adjustment
2. Clutch basket grooved
3. Improper oil

db5
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
im going to tyr thinner oil...when i changed the clutch the basket looked fine

Stickman400
05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Hmmm, I always thought the higher the number like that for motor oil then it was thinner. Learn something new everyday I guess.

punk rock kiel
05-05-2012, 08:16 AM
i had the same thing in my 450r with the tusk clutch running the rotella. after a few rides and adjusting the clutch, it went away. i didnt like it at all either but you 400 guys have electric start, start complaining when your kicker.